ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling issue

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
well, had my mk1 for a couple of weeks now, got it slammed the other week and it was a bit lower at the rear than the front.

well, i was out last night in it, it was very wet the floor and its the 1st time it has been wet when i was out, it was s**t... it couldnt grip, the back end was skidding out and steeering was very light all the time!

here is what it was like...

carrr.jpg

it did look mint, but i was forced to higher the back a couple of cm to see if it helped, it is much better now, thankfully it started pissing it down as i finished the torsion bar so i took it out on a few bends and handles much better allthough kicks out with a lot of lock on...

my tyres are cack so i suppose that doesnt help, shall be getting some better ones soon.

What tyre do you all reccommend to go on 13's, i will be gettin R5GT 13's and just wondering what tyre is best in that size, as there are hardly any! lol

thanks, sam

SamboRT said:
well, had my mk1 for a couple of weeks now, got it slammed the other week and it was a bit lower at the rear than the front.

well, i was out last night in it, it was very wet the floor and its the 1st time it has been wet when i was out, it was sh*t... it couldnt grip, the back end was skidding out and steeering was very light all the time!

here is what it was like...

carrr.jpg

it did look mint, but i was forced to higher the back a couple of cm to see if it helped, it is much better now, thankfully it started pissing it down as i finished the torsion bar so i took it out on a few bends and handles much better allthough kicks out with a lot of lock on...

my tyres are cack so i suppose that doesnt help, shall be getting some better ones soon.

What tyre do you all reccommend to go on 13's, i will be gettin R5GT 13's and just wondering what tyre is best in that size, as there are hardly any! lol

thanks, sam

DUNLOP SP SPORT 2000 and the UNIROYAL RALLYE 340 are good tyres for the std gt turbo alloys

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
chers ralph, i have been lookin on the net for some good lower profile tyres for the 13's... so hard to come by, just wondering what was best..

another thing i find odd, doe to the small size of the wheel, the tyres cant half be pricey! lol

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
yeah true, i dont see why, smaller and fat is better... people need to come to there senses! :p

dont know the width of R5 wheels do you by any chance?

thanks

Civic Type-R
Its prob cos your running 13's that the handling is poo. When I was on 13's on my old RT the handling was rubbish and had no grip anywhere, but after I put some 15's on with low profile tyres it was 10 times better, loads of grip even in the wet.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
i want rims the same as winston did, 13x8 .. he had very low profile tyre on too, now i bet that could grip!! lol

in the dry, the handling is mint, i cant fault it.... just needs some new tyres as it is these what is letting it down at the min, just slides too much :(

fiesta turbo/Golf 1.8t
Bicycle tyres were made for shopping trips and the school run not hacking round corners lol.
To get some good cheap 13in tyres look for a good second-hand set of metro gti/gta alloys complete with 185/55/13 tyres.
Should be able to get a set for £40-70

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
haha shortie :)

i kow, the wheels and tyres are pap, but, shall soon be sorted. Got a set of Renny 5GT wheels on the go now, hopefully get them next week dependant on funds :)

goodtyres on them too which is a bonus

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
lol @ ad.

Any roccomendations for good shocks for these, i have seen the apex lowered shocks... seems to be everyone goes for them. really want something different to be honest...

any other, semi-value for money shocks out there?

thanks, sam

RacerStu said:
Its prob cos your running 13's that the handling is poo. When I was on 13's on my old RT the handling was rubbish and had no grip anywhere, but after I put some 15's on with low profile tyres it was 10 times better, loads of grip even in the wet.

utter utter tosh!

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
13's can be amazing, especially wide ones... i agree that these cack 2" wide steelies arent the best, plus on fookin hulk hogan tyres.... but, 13x6 rims should hold very nicely, accompanied by a nice suspension set up.. need to get them shockers sorted! :)

mk1 RT
samboRT the r5 gtt wheels are 5.5 wide i have a a set in good cond with 195/55 tyres on as standard i belive but the tyres are shot

they are a set of 4 plus caps and a steely spare to match

if you want the wheels and you can collect them from swindon wilts there yours free of charge as i paid nowt for them

i can supply them with or without the tyres

if you want them pm me

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
really good of you rob, PM'd ya.

sooo anyone know about these mcphearson shockers?

thanks again!