ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling Woes..

172 cup
Hi everyone, I've just spent the weekend at the Ring, did 4 laps and the car felt terrible.

Spec is - cup dampers all round, cooksport springs, camber bolts on the front, 10mm axle spacers with 1° camber shims, Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres on 15 inch alloys.

It has 2° camber all round, std toe front and rear, car feels terrible, front end feels like its floating, no feel, cant tell whether or not it's going to slid off the road or grip???

What am I doing wrong????

172 cup
32psi all round on a very cold wet track, asked for toe to be set to factory

Attachments

• 20190507_211450.jpg
    20190507_211450.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 73

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
A cold wet track certainly wouldn’t help of course.
Most people that race Clios run with toe out rather than toe in.
Personally I run about 10’ toe out on the front and zero toe on the rear.

Difficult to know for sure without seeing the car.
I assume all your bushes are good?
Steering rack bushes are prone to failing, that would make your steering feel vague too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
This is the setup sheet for mine. Looking at yours, it appears your caster angle is a lot less. I had a similar issue with my caster in that I accidentally fitted non cup wishbones on, Ive since replaced my wishbones with Cup ones. I also did the Nurburgring on this setup although it was nice weather and I’m running Toyo R888r. I’ve also done Bedford on this setup and my car handles like it’s on rails. Loads of feed back and very direct. I will add though all of my bushes have been replaced by Powerflex black edition including the steering rack. Oh and I run 16mm hubcentric spacers on the front and 10mm rear axle spacers.
0FB07B92-63C0-4E1F-AC5B-E8159FB7889B.png

Last edited:
  406 V6, Race Buggy
As above, castor angle wants looking at, that seems too low for a track car, I'm guessing the front doesn't self centre very well either?

Clio182mike

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I reckon castor angle as well. It needs increasing so the bottom ball joints go more towards the front on the car. This will increase the self centering of the steering wheel as well.