ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hard Driving?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Think this is in the right section....

if you drive your car hard ( not constantly, just have the occasional blast/red line moment) is this bad for the car... i kind of ragged mine after and then got scared because i think i could have broke something in the engine ( i love my car ::)

anyway...

whats the best maintenence routine for getting the best life out of ur engine when you drive it quiet hard? im guessing regular servicing etc but any other advice?

Ta dudes/dudettes!

Taking it to the red line oncein a while wont harm your car, doing it constantly will.

Best advice for your engine is to just service it regulary.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
depends in my opinion.
If the car is serviced regularly and the car is given time to warm up before 'ragging' it there should be no harm aslong as you aint hitting the rev limiter time after time.

/carl

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
every car i've had has seen rev limited pretty much on a daily basis.

I don't have a sport, i have a RenaultSport ;)

visualize whirled pe
Never drive hard (ie more than say 3000 rpm) from cold, not just the needle going to half way on the temp but long enough for the oil to warm through (10 minutes)

After that you can drive upto the redline. Frequently doing it may bugger your gear box before your engine. The red line should be in two parts, temporary (striped) and limit (solid red) hitting the limiter should be avoided as the engine becomes out of ballence and is liable to rapidly increase wear.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
yeh well i read about on here you should always let your car warm up before doing anything "hardcore" with it.. cheers for the replys anyway... never knew that about the striped and solid redline either :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Never drive hard (ie more than say 3000 rpm) from cold, not just the needle going to half way on the temp but long enough for the oil to warm through (10 minutes)

INDEED!

I didn't know this when I got my 1st car, after 6 months of constant redlining from start up, I blew the engine, although it was a 15yr old rover wih 120k on the clock. But it did have the more reliable Honda engine. As long as its warmed up, its fine to high rev it.

And all my mates thought the gearbox would go 1st lol

Evo 8 MR
I have a mate who is just like that, makes me sick when I see him rag it out of the car park after it being sat there for about 8 hours.

^^ I don't know if it's my imagination or a keen ear but it seems a car always sounds wrong when someone does that. It's almost like I can hear it saying "Owwwwwwcccchhhh"!

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i got a quote from renault for a new engine for mine itds 2900 service exchange so im just geting mine rebuilt

S2000
Mine regularly seem 7000rpm and hasn't missed a beat in the time I have owned it, and its on about 100k miles. As long as you let it warm up fully before you start driving it like that it will be fine, start doing it before its fully warmed up and you're asking for trouble.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i always let my 1.2 16v warm up for 15/20 mins before hammering it, once it had its oil temp though it got constant redline action and it went like f**k for a 1.2 and would still be going strong if the cambelt didnt snap at 140k! new lump was only on 50k and was never as quick.

i changed the oil every 4k miles with fully synthetic millers tho!

my 172 has done 20k in a year of hard abuse because i just use it as a toy on my days off and weekends etc and same as above regular oil changes and full oil temp and its been fine!

using a cars full rev range wont do it any hastle, their designed to do it, abusing it from cold will.

Megane
What mount is it that wears? Because when i put my foot down my gearknob moves in all directions!! lol. Just had my wishbone changed :S

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
my gear stick just pulls towards the gear when i put my foot down.. (ie in 2nd and 4th it pulls towards the back seats) and when i let off the accellerator it will pull the opposite direction... looks abit funny actually but 2 of my pals clios are the same so i presume its normal pal

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't understand the point in buying a car when you're paying a premium on tax/petrol/insurance for it's higher than average performance and then driving it like a 1.6

Clio 172 Cup
Only ever hit the limiter once, thou it was at 6.5K in second, does the 172 cup have a rev limit of that only in second? As I alway change up just before 6.5K.