ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anybody coded their own app?

Mk2 Golf GTI
Long and short of it is my girlfriends dad has an idea for an iPad app and is looking for someone to code it for them. I remember someone on here had made a TV guide app or something but couldn't remember who.

He's looking to split profits pretty much 50/50 with the right person!

Anyone interested?

Markie made Prowlr which is a web app.

It depends what the app is but very few decent devs will take on the 50/50 split anymore. It's just not worth their time when they can be charging $500 a day and getting paid regardless of how it sells.

If it's a soundboard of your girlfriend nagging, then I can make it. If it's some high-tec game, then I can't :(

Megane 225 F1
As Revels said, I did Android because I didn't have a mac at the time and I couldn't get the SDK unless I had a mac. I have a mac now, so may try it in the future maybe. App development is very hard unless it's a soundboard though.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
50/50 split for 100% of the effort? As revels said, you need a freelancer and a decent freelancer will either charge you the appropriate rate or will want a much better percentage to entertain it.

And appincubator....

nasty terms and conditions said:
All ideas submitted by you (SUBMITTER) will immediately become property of MEDL Mobile, Inc. (MEDL).

Submission of an idea does not constitute any binding relationship between MEDL and SUBMITTER.

SUBMITTER will receive 25% of all gross revenues (Gross Revenues are proceeds received by MEDL after app store commission is taken out) generated AFTER the “break even” point for their application (break even is defined as cost paid by MEDL (or born by MEDL in any way) to develop and market application.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Nice I needed a new idea to go code. Im off to code a TV guide for the iPad.

A TV guide app would be pretty easy to code but you'd need all legal rights for where ever you'd be getting the TV listing's from.

I dunno If radio times shares listings online? If they do share them online for free I still wouldn't see them allowing you to use them to power any app for anything other then education never mind making money.

It would be the same case for most sources of information.

http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/8-2011 It has it's own API for the listings.

That's what Prowlr uses. http://prowlr.tv/ = It's brilliant if you watch a lot of American TV.

The development isn't the only part. It needs good design too. Tiny Wings had been done before, which pretty much the exact same game play but it wasn't a hit because it looked s**t. Angry Birds is super simple but it works because of how brilliant the design in.

Last edited:

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
Thats a nice trick a lot of people I want to uni with did. Let some one else steal the info and get permission from them to use it.

I have experience in this also (and a dev account to be able to get it on the app store) - if you pm me your requirements, I can see if I am able to do it.

Mk2 Golf GTI
OK cheers guys I will ask him what he wants.

He didn't tell me what it was but in his words was something very simple that didn't require too much graphically. I think it's something to do with a useful added functionality for iPad that isn't available now. He spends all day on the thing so I imagine it's something useful.

I think the easiest thing is that if anyone is interested, send me your email address to jharpe43@gmail.com and I'll put you in touch with him. Also, I suppose it would be good if you have a link to something you've created before.

I'm not going to get into debates about how much people would get etc as he only briefly told me in a passing conversation so just thought I'd see if anyone wanted to find out more.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
I came up with one. An app that closes all open apps in the multi tasking thing. You can make it I don't care, just let me have it for free before you put it on app store.

Thanks.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I came up with one. An app that closes all open apps in the multi tasking thing. You can make it I don't care, just let me have it for free before you put it on app store.

Thanks.

Not possible on a non-jailbroken phone.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
Hence why someone needs to make it, What is the jailbroken app that does it? :eek:

EDIT:
Found it! Called: Remove Backgrounder on cydia. sweet.

A silver one
Aren't the majority of the people in the Apple Chat forum developers or do they just pay for dev accounts for the sake of it?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
PM Munday, he might be able to help

Think he made:

http://www.nurburgringinfo.com/

Yup that's my one. I've also just finished the iPhone version which has been submitted to Apple but I am waiting for approval before it appears in the App Store. The iPhone version is a lot prettier than the Android version however both apps have planned redesigns/feature additions in the pipeline. There are some really exciting features planned but it's a case of finding the time to implement them. Up until a couple of months ago I had never even used a Smart phone!

If you have any questions/queries about Android/iPhone development feel free to give me a shout :)

Rav4
Yup that's my one. I've also just finished the iPhone version which has been submitted to Apple but I am waiting for approval before it appears in the App Store. The iPhone version is a lot prettier than the Android version however both apps have planned redesigns/feature additions in the pipeline. There are some really exciting features planned but it's a case of finding the time to implement them. Up until a couple of months ago I had never even used a Smart phone!

If you have any questions/queries about Android/iPhone development feel free to give me a shout :)

First of all, apologies for hijacking.

Secondly, I have lots, would you mind if I PM'd you?

Thanks,

G.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
If anybody is thinking of doing any app development, I wouldn't start work on any new developments that didn't specifically target iOS5 (pay for a developer account), there are some changes to the development workflow that make developing iOS5 applications much nicer than previous iOS versions.

No. I do have an amazing idea for an iPhone app for my industry. It would be an amazing tool, but I don't have the skills to realise it. I just have the idea. Plus it's a very small 'circuit' of people that would use it, so there's little incentive for investment. Sucks to be my idea.