ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone tried this easy way to do a cam belt?

Trophy, Audi TT,
Lots of discussion on here about Cam Belt changes, Thought I would share a trick from a mate who does Cam Belts all the time.

I went round to his workshop a while ago and he has a way of doing Cam belts I have not seen before... What he does is take the cover off and starts the engine. Then, with a pencil, he draws a line on the cam belt, right in the middle, with the engine spinning.

He then takes off all the bits and pieces to get at the belt, and then uses a Stanly knife to cut the belt in half, along the line he has just drawn. bit at a time, while he turns the engine with the ratchet on the front pulley. Once the belt is in half, he cuts the first bit off, effectively leaving half a belt on the pulleys.

He then slackens the tensioner off and feeds the new belt on until it butts up against the old half a belt. he then cuts the old belt off and feeds the new belt fully on!

I watched him do it on a Peugeot HDI diesel which he was doing. He says he does it this way all the time as it saves having to time the engine up and makes the job a lot quicker and safer as he knows everything is timed correctly (assuming it was in the first place!!) . In fact he now has a neat little guide which fits over the cam belt with a slot in it, so he can cut the belts down the middle a bit quicker!

I have not done it this way on the 182 yet but it may be worth a try?

ITB'd MK1
works on some stuff like vauxhall 8v engines. Wont work on a 172/182 though, the crank pulley is free floating as soon as the crank bolt is removed.

Pikey as f**k too

Clio Sport 172
Sounds like a good idea, I'd give it a whirl but I've got to change my dephaser too

Megane Coupe VVT
Why draw on it atall? the lines not gonna be staraight anyway so may aswell free-hand cut it?

Sounds a whole lot of dodgy to me.

S4 Avant
Just to back Dan up on the tensioner and idlers point.... mine were just about fucked when he took them off, and a good job they were being replaced!