ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has my cambelt gone? :(

clio 172
Hi.

i was driving along at 30 when my engine suddenly died, when i rolled to a stop i tried starting the engine, it would turn over but sounded weird like something missing.

I ha a quick look under engine cover but it was dark but i got the impression the cambelt has gone.

Ive had nothing but problems with this car in the 3 months ive had it!

Whats the chances ive not bent my valves?

So annoyed, this forum is only being used for me as a help since ive signed up :mad:

anyway thanks if anyone responds

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
(Sorry Dan, this doesn't answer your question.)

Had a Honda. You knew you'd lost the cam belt if the engine turned over on the starter without showing any indication of firing and the "no oil pressure" light was on, because the oil pump was driven from the overhead cam. Is there some similar indication with the Clio?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Possibly mate, it will spin over really quickly due to no resistance!! where abouts are you?

clio 172
yeah ive got a torch but not when im in a village away from my house unfortunately.
Ive left the car parked up there so will go and get it later and tell you some more.

Im from Nottingham/Derby way.

Thanks Dan

BMW M135i
dont sound like a cambelt does it have any pressure sound ? lurn over in gear see what happens
What good is that going to do? It'll jump forward on the starter whether the cambelt is bust or not.

Possibly mate, it will spin over really quickly due to no resistance!! where abouts are you?

how's the engine going to turn over with a snapped cambelt? :S

Because the starter engages onto the flywheel? He means it'll turn over quickly on the starter due to no load on it because of lack of compression after bending the valves.

clio 172
someone told me, dont know how true it is thats why I ask, if i try turning it over itll pretty much certainly f**k the engine if cambelts gone?

Obviously I want to be lucky and not have my engine nackered so is this true? Best not to do any more damage

BMW M135i
someone told me, dont know how true it is thats why I ask, if i try turning it over itll pretty much certainly f**k the engine if cambelts gone?

Obviously I want to be lucky and not have my engine nackered so is this true? Best not to do any more damage

The damage is already done if the belts snapped. Turn it over for england.

Mondeo TDCI 130
Hi.

i was driving along at 30 when my engine suddenly died, when i rolled to a stop i tried starting the engine, it would turn over but sounded weird like something missing.

how's the engine going to turn over with a snapped cambelt? :S

Come on fred! give your head a wobble! i was trying to make it easy, basically the pistons are just going to go up and down, it will be fooked anyway so makes no difference!!

Mondeo TDCI 130

You said you tried starting it when it rolled to a stop in the first post? so you turned it over then??

Renault clio S 1.4
look mate, while everyone argues amongst themselves, go with david ramseys comment of looking in oil filler cap, thats what we do in our garage, all the best fela

clio 172
Look im no car expert, i dont pretend to be.

ive not come on here for a argument I came here for some friendly help.

And cheers for the last comment,

However i took the cover off today and the cambelt is there and all in tact so I DID once again turn the engine over after a couple of goes the engine just stopped turning over as if it was stuck, so manually tried to turn it over with ratchet and it was well and truely stuck, having said that 5 minutes later after not touching the car, whatever was stuck freed up. I know ive not provided much info but im just clueless to what it could be? and im not sure what to look out for without taking it to bits.

Cheers

Last edited:
  Mk2 1.2 Campus
Look im no car expert, i dont pretend to be.

ive not come on here for a argument I came here for some friendly help.

And cheers for the last comment,

However i took the cover off today and the cambelt is there and all in tact so I DID once again turn the engine over after a couple of goes the engine just stopped turning over as if it was stuck, so manually tried to turn it over with ratchet and it was well and truely stuck, having said that 5 minutes later after not touching the car, whatever was stuck freed up. I know ive not provided much info but im just clueless to what it could be? and im not sure what to look out for without taking it to bits.

Cheers

I meant turn the car over and see if the cambelt turns

Black 182
Turn it over by hand and watch what the cams are doing, by what you said its sounds like it could have even dropped a valve ?

Clio Sport 172
I wouldnt turn it over if you think the cam belt has gone. I did this on a 106 rallye when the tensioner collapsed, bent 7 values and one of them put a dent into the head. Not much fun paying for that, cost me bout 250 - 300 i think, not from main dealer mind.

Why dont you just check the cam belt to see if it is:

a) still there
b) knackered
c) really slack

Pistons hitting values is always bad for your car and your wallet.