ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has my cat gone?

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Been searching around the forum this weekend and I'm a bit baffled about a noise I have with my 182. It's a 2005 182 with the original standard exhaust if that helps.

When pulling away between 1k - 3k it makes a rattle/raspy sound from where I think the cat is. I think the exhaust is blowing a little anyway. Do you think I need a replacement cat?

I originally thought it was the heat shield but it sounds like it's coming from under the gear lever area.

I have my car booked in for a service and MOT this Wednesday and I'm slightly concerned it's going to fail (emissions?). If the cat has gone, how much is a new one?
Thanks in advance.

gdw

RS Clio 172
Cat converters are around £100 online, sure the emissions test will indicate if your catalyst is damaged, I have a similar noise but mine is definately the heat shield.

Catalyst Converter

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll find out for definite on Weds. My 182 has been trouble free for the last 6 years, seems as though now it's starting to show that it's really French!

gdw

RS Clio 172
haha - well im new to Renault ownership but coming from Pugs and Citroens I don't suspect it can be much worse.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Just thought I'd update this, turns out it was the bolts that were loose from the downpipe to the cat. The mechanic has tightened them up and all is well but has recommended that I get a new set (come in a kit and are about £20 from Renault).
The car has passed the MOT :)

Clio 182
Mine is doing the same at the moment but we've checked the fittings (I've even had the car on the ramp as I fitted a Miltek Cat-Back exhaust) and they all seem ok.

I'd prefer not to spend over a ton on a new Cat if I don't need to.