ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have u got an illegal plate

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

mines illegal, got pulled on way from donny show last year!

got a letter from the dvla sayin if im stopped again they wil take reg from me!!

Im illegal.........

got old style/vintage style plates.........they are black pressed alloy, lettering is silver, looks amazing on my black clio.......bought em at south wales vee dub festival......

was stopped, questioned in a petrol station, given a warning and told to change em..........didnt bother.........3months later got a letter from south wales police, been reported spotted with mis-represented licence plates, had to fill out a form askin where/when/who supplied the plates etc.........

10months later, theyre still on the car, nothin else yet........(fingers X)

Quote: Originally posted by Colin_S on 06 January 2005

It is the law that you must have the plate suppliers Name and Post Code on the plate and the BS number in the corner. I think 3D letters are still ok, they are in Scotland.

err no, i have stones traffic law manual 05 and it clearly states that no other markings shall appear on the plates other than a kite mark and the reg number...or authorised logos such as gb etc.. or words to those effect :)

Renault Laguna Coupe

The plate on the Vee is legal, but weve had an illegal one on the Megane since it was new (Euro 2000 plate with 3 lions ghosted onto the background). Never had a problem.

Banana

i was stopped recently by two motorbike cops, and quite rightly so- my plates have no fancy fonts or backgrounds, but the characters are wrongly spaced. one cop was ranting about the plates not having the dealer + postcode on them. he walked me back to his bike to show me how they SHOULD look. and guess what? his bike plates had no dealer or postcode. he was not happy when i pointed this out to him, and swiftly gave me a producer and a £30 fine.

he then said that he was reporting me to the DVLA and if i was caught again, i could lose the right to the registration mark.

the look of embarassment on his face was worth the fine.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Ive just ordered new plates.

WITHOUT dealer/supplier details - Got "RenaultSport Clio 182" instead
Front plate is 3/4 size too

so I guess that makes me illegal too

Quote: Originally posted by Rufstuf on 06 January 2005

i was stopped recently by two motorbike cops, and quite rightly so- my plates have no fancy fonts or backgrounds, but the characters are wrongly spaced. one cop was ranting about the plates not having the dealer + postcode on them. he walked me back to his bike to show me how they SHOULD look. and guess what? his bike plates had no dealer or postcode. he was not happy when i pointed this out to him, and swiftly gave me a producer and a £30 fine.

he then said that he was reporting me to the DVLA and if i was caught again, i could lose the right to the registration mark.

the look of embarassment on his face was worth the fine.

Ruf if thier plates were illegal then I do not think they could book you and you would have grounds for an appeal ;)

Also people seem to be getting £30 fines.............me I was threatened with a £60 fine :mad:

Cya Stu

Banana

yeah stu i did consider appealling but decided not to make waves, and avoid cagney and lacey at all costs.:D

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Mine were completly legal when I bought them, but would they be now as I dont have the sellers stamp on them and have a small saltire with SCO underneath?? Whatever the answer it aint gettting changed!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I got mine done in Halfords so mine must be illegal as there are no supplier details that I can see.

Quote: Originally posted by gunnergibson on 06 January 2005

It is the law that you must have the plate suppliers Name and Post Code on the plate and the BS number in the corner. I think 3D letters are still ok, they are in Scotland.

err no, i have stones traffic law manual 05 and it clearly states that no other markings shall appear on the plates other than a kite mark and the reg number...or authorised logos such as gb etc.. or words to those effect :)

Err, 3D text on plates IS legal (according to the DVLA): http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#24http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#24 Well, the font Ive got definately IS legal.

And plates MUST have the MANUFACTURERS name (i.e. who made the plates up) on them, and the BS standard (think its BS AU 145d) on them to be legal. I just didnt want to advertise the company who made my plates - nothing against them, I just dont like things like that on a car (hence why mine are illegal.

350z & 16v Maxi

Quote: Originally posted by Ally on 07 January 2005

Quote: Originally posted by gunnergibson on 06 January 2005

Err, 3D text on plates IS legal (according to the DVLA): http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#24http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#24 Well, the font Ive got definately IS legal.

And plates MUST have the MANUFACTURERS name (i.e. who made the plates up) on them, and the BS standard (think its BS AU 145d) on them to be legal. I just didnt want to advertise the company who made my plates - nothing against them, I just dont like things like that on a car (hence why mine are illegal.
You do have to have the suppliers name and postcode on the plate to make it legal but if your plate was made before a certain date your ok without it.

On the SCO and flag, that is legal in the Scotland, but not in England and also the Honeycomb etc is legal in Scotland as well. In Scotland you do not need to bring in any ownership papers for the plate you want made you can have any plate made you want, where in England you need to provide your V5 or something to have a plate made.

172, Tiguan

Where can i order a 3/4 size front plate? Just so the plate doesnt hang down over the grille anymore.

this is a prime example of the b****cks we have to put up with in this country, DVLA stipulate one thing on legalities of plates and their supply/display and the police handbook another. You dont stand a chance as a motorist.

Turbo Convesion Started!!

I have L15 MED.

my name is Liam Smedley so have it as L1 5MED.

Had it on my 106 and got pulled for illegal spacing, got a producer, when i changed to clio i put L1 5MED on the front and L1 5 Med on the back with a space between the 1 still but between the 5 and M aswell. This was cos i thought police wouldnt bother turnin around to pull me and if theyre behind it looks pretty legal!!!