ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HD question

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
The TV I have is not full HD it's HD ready, so is it worth buying a full HD DVD player or should I just go for a decent upscaling player.

Cheers

Will I see any difference in picture using the HD player over an upscaler seeing as my TV is not full HD.

Evo 6, E92 320d
You'll get a more defined picture if you are watching a HD-DVD on a HD player over a std dvd, but if you get a good spec'd upscaler you will make the most of your dvds.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
its actually a rather good blu ray player and fro the money u have wifi and GT5

Bought a Toshiba EP30 today but was thinking of taking it back and exchanging it for an upscaler.

Cos my TV is not full hd the player is set at 1080i so am I right in thinking that an upscaler would do the same job and that my TV will only play HD DVD's to 1080i quality.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
honestly get a PS3 for an extra £150 you get a better player, check what blu-rays etc format they play in as not all ps3 games/movies are 1080 i think

Monaro VXR
As said get the PS3, It upscales standard DVD's and will play bluray which is seeming more and more likely to be the main format with HD DVD on the way down the pan.

And HD ready is still HD and with a TV under 50 inches you would likely not be able to tell the difference between 720P and 1080P anyway so makes no difference.

honestly get a PS3 for an extra £150 you get a better player, check what blu-rays etc format they play in as not all ps3 games/movies are 1080 i think

I almost got one but im not really gaming fan.

Now im really confused just checked my TV'spec and the Resolution is 1024 x 768 pixels.

What does ths mean in upscaling terms.

Setup menu on HD player reads

Up to 480i/576i
Up to 720p
Up to 1080i
Up to 1080p

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
only just started thinking about this - is there a difference between a hd ready tv and a hd tv? i cant find a hdmi cable point on the tv so how would say sky hd connect to it?

Scirocco GT 210
only just started thinking about this - is there a difference between a hd ready tv and a hd tv? i cant find a hdmi cable point on the tv so how would say sky hd connect to it?

HD ready = up to 720p
Full HD = up to 1080p

If you've got a HD tv (full or ready), it should have at least one HDMI port. :S Unless it's an older one maybe? Standard def TVs won't have one!

2014 Focus Titanium
Normal TV can display upto 1024x768 (i.e. if a computer is connected to it), although on a conventional TV is isn't measured in pixels.

720p is not 1024x768. 720p is 1366x768.

2014 Focus Titanium
Good point though, looking at the interweb a PAL tv is 720x576, so why the f**k will my Sony WEGA let my display my computer screen @ 1024? :|

172 Cup
720p is not 1024x768. 720p is 1366x768.

No one said 1024*768 was 720p...

And I'm afraid you're wrong again.. 720P is 1280*720. However 1386*768 is the more commonly used native resolution found on modern TV's.

2014 Focus Titanium
Lol ok. So what are we calling HD now then? Anything that displays pixels rather than signal lines?

1024x768 = normal TV not HD :eek:

Maybe in LCD terms but up until not long ago this was the most common Hd ready format for Plasma's.

Read this

Is a Plasma HDTV Really High Definition at 1024x768 Resolution? YOU BETCHA!
By Chris Boylan

</SPAN>

lg.php

When surfing Google News today, I came across a blog post on a site called "Gizmo Cafe" which purports to disspell myths about HDTV and Consumer Electronics issues. In this blog the author was ranting about a retailer advertising a Magnavox plasma HDTV which the author felt did not meet the minimum criteria to be called an HDTV.

[Editor's Note: The author has since updated his post with some corrections, but the story was originally published on engadget, with a similar premise]

His evidence of this supposed gaff was that the HDTV in question featured a resolution of only 1024x768 pixels, when "everyone knows" that the minimum resolution of HDTV is 1280x720 pixels (a.k.a. "720p"). But his argument was flawed based on a couple of bad assumptions: a.)that all pixels are the same shape and b.)that the ATSC standards of digital television broadcasts have anything to do with whether a set can be called an HDTV.

In the year 2000, in an attempt to standardize the terminology and usage of the term "HDTV," the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) defined four criteria that must be met in order for a display device to be called an "HDTV."

These criteria are:
  • The ability to receive ATSC terrestrial digital transmissions and decode all ATSC Table 3 video formats
  • The ability to display vertical scan lines of 720 lines progressive (720p), 1080 lines interlaced (1080i), or higher
  • The ability to display an image in a widescreen 16:9 (width:height) aspect ratio
  • The ability to receive, reproduce, and/or output Dolby Digital audio
If a set meets these criteria (which the Magnavox set in question does), then it's an HDTV. Period.

Just taking into consideration the Magnavox set's resolution (1024x768) you would think that it has a 4:3 aspect ratio (non-widescreen), but this would only be the case if the plasma pixels were square in shape. They're actually not - they're rectangular as are the pixels of 95% of all the 42-inch HDTV plasma panels on the market today. 42-inch Plasma HDTV models made by Pioneer, Panasonic, Vizio, Philips, Samsung, etc. all feature the same 1024x768 resolution.

Larger size plasmas (50 inch and up) use square plasma pixels and offer resolutions of 1366x768 pixels or 1920x1080 pixels (1080p). But in the 42-inch size, 1024x768 is the most common HDTV resolution. To date, only Panasonic has come to market with a 42-inch plasma panel with more pixels, and they pushed it all the way out to 1080p (1920x1080 pixels) with the TH-42PZ700U.

Is the Magnavox set the ultimate expression of HDTV currently on the market? Probably not, but overall image quality has less to do with the exact number of pixels then it does with other factors such as color accuracy, contrast, moving image reproduction, color depth, and the quality of the set's on-board video processor which converts the incoming HD and SD resolution sources to the native resolution of the panel.

I've seen some plasma panels that measure in at 1024x768 pixels that are vastly superior to LCD and DLP sets that offer more pixels. But I've also seen some higher resolution plasma sets that compare unfavorably to LCD flat panels with the same number of pixels, just due to inferior on-board video processors.

Plasma is not "better" than LCD. And 1080p is not "better" than 720p. Resolution is just one of many factors that influence picture quality. As always, let your eyes decide what looks best to you. And let the stats and specs be damned.

Last edited:
Good point though, looking at the interweb a PAL tv is 720x576, so why the f**k will my Sony WEGA let my display my computer screen @ 1024? :|

in a way it doesnt the computer re-jigs the output the tv will only ever display 576 scan lines and they are interlaced too

and upscaling is a friendly name for interpolation a methodof creating data between 2 points that doesnt really exist

The display format for all Plasmas with the resolution of 1024X768 is shown as 720P.

Misadvertising????

The display format for all Plasmas with the resolution of 1024X768 is shown as 720P.

Misadvertising????

same as with all 720p lcd sets too

imho yes it is misadvertising but nowt we can do about it

What setting would you suggest I use when playing HD DVD'S.

Currently use 720P and the picture is amazing in fact I would find it hard to believe that you could get a better picture using a 1080i or p TV

I was under the imression that up to screen sizes of 42" it makes no differance to the picture quality?? Not sure now true this is.

same as with all 720p lcd sets too

imho yes it is misadvertising but nowt we can do about it

What setting would you suggest I use when playing HD DVD'S.

Currently use 720P and the picture is amazing in fact I would find it hard to believe that you could get a better picture using a 1080i or p TV

I was under the imression that up to screen sizes of 42" it makes no differance to the picture quality?? Not sure now true this is.

tbh its all a load of crap

sub 42" 1080p yes it makes difference if you sat with your nose to the screen sat further away 42" you may notice it over 720p (tbh your eyes most prob arnt upto it)

in theory you should feed it what ever format scales better into your panels native resolution

720p though will see you fine unless you trade upto a true 1080p set as in teh panel is actually 1920x1080 not just that it accepts then down scales 1080p to fit 1366x768