ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head Gasket Help

Gone to start on my valvers head gasket, and also put on a new cam belt etc. Anybody done one of these themselves at home. How much of a hassle is it, two things concern me, lack of access to belt and tensioner and idler, are they difficult to release, even with access helped by removing headlight, PS reservior and arch spash guard, just cause it looks a very tight fit for hands/spanner etc. Also is the head difficult/awkward to remove with engine remaining in car. I ask because a mate reckons it would be easier to do it all by taking the engine/box out and doing it on the bench. Any advice on this job really appreciated, thanks.

19 16V

Erm not that hard to get the head off! You can cut the belt of to release the head. But it is akward to get a new belt on your right, not come to that yet! lol

tis piss easy matey.

I assume you have the top moutn removed and the cambelt cover off?

Take the bottom pulley off. Take out the drivers side arch liner etc etc

Turn it to TDC.

Loosen the 17mm nut on the tensioner and the tension will be off the belt. Take the belt off. Easy.

Yeah sussed all that, just aint started and thought I would enquire so I knew what to expect. I want to change the idler and put a new tensioner on, Its just looks a very tight fit, but I guess your right, I wont know until I strip it, I was just curious as to whether its easier done, with engine out, which I am tempted to do. Also should I get head skimmed and pressure tested?, thanks

yes its easier to do it all with the engine out. If you can do that and change the clutch whilst you are there.

Head shouldnt need skimmed if you do it whilst cold and evenly loosen it. But if the gaskets blown then it may need a skim, pressure tested, hmm well up to you really.

Yeah local crowd will skim and pressure test head for £25 so will have to go for that. Still pissed off it went, as it has never been cooked and always had good properly mixed coolant, just started losing a little and has got worse, seeps out between head and block just under distributer, but with no coolant entering the bores or the oil, given this do you reckon I will need to get it skimmed.

Quite fancy taking engine out, but bent garage rafter badly last time I had a block and tackle on it, so would need to hire or buy a hoist, or just suffer the scuffed knuckles and do it in situ

garage rafters, silly boy. You do know that the load is doubled on the rafter with a block and tackle. The rafters are only to stop the walls collapsing in so they are always in light compresion not a bendign load to.

Might as well get it checked and skimmed then. Make sure they only take of the tiniest amount. I have never had a head skimmed yet btw. Had a block skimmed right enough...

When you get the head off check for blocked water ways etc. If you can get the skimmign crowd to dip the head in a bath for a while to get it sparkling. You need to take the valves out for this though.