ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket just gone! :(

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
my head gasket has gone! help! iv been told it will b about 300 pounds for a new 1????? i live in london does any1 know any cheap places or can any1 do it for me for cheaper?

RB 200 Cup!
try talkin to matt black - he can usually source any parts - not sure if hes still banned tho...

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
who is matt black? i dnt have a prob with gettign parts its just fittign it! lol im not toughing the head myself!

RB 200 Cup!
matt black is a member on this forum works for a renault breakers so usually can get hold of anything - ask a mod where you can contact him - sorry dont know his details myself

Focus ST
Had mine go too, luckly I was covered under warrenty (sorry, I realise this doesn't help you), but my point is...

When they do the work, they replace the oil + filter + collant etc. Get a service done as well. So in turn saving money on the service, when you can't on the gasket change.

If you live in London, check out BBperformance tuning, GDI. Or your local super heroes, RENAULT!!!!

Hope you manage to sort it out, just keep checking your oil levels.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
why where are you based?????? i woudl really appreciate it if you could mate i cud pay you to travel as well?

tiTTy & SV650
local garage shouldnt charge that much ask around friends and family.

parts are cheap its the labour that will cost u.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
i can get a whole gasket set frm halfords for a tenner. but 2 garages have told me 300 pounds for supply and fit!!!!!!!!!!!!

clio 182 black /gold
Well with a head gasket you need to reskim the head, so this is where the cost is.3

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
what tools do you need to reskim the head? the reason i ask being. would only garages be able to do it?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
north london, placed called enfield. not far frm the north circular or great cambrige road (A10)

clio 182 black /gold
Patrick_g46 said:
what tools do you need to reskim the head? the reason i ask being. would only garages be able to do it?
Normaly you need a lathe to skim, because most engines do warp. Or if it is a quick fix to sell use some emmery cloth.

clio 16valver
mine had just gone also dood
cost me £25 to get the head skimmed so not expensive at all and £35 for the gasket set

my dad owns his own mechanics company so i got it for free but he is pretty cheap, not sure on the traveling tho mate, will ask him

but dude £300 doesnt sound over priced..thats cheap! i was gettin quotes in the £800 region but then my dad had someone cancel so he could fit me in

push comes to shove mate i would go for the £300 option, seems to be the cheapest

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
are you serious? you think that is cheap? and u got quoted 800!!!!!!!!! fuk! so u reckon i shud go with my dads mechanic for the 300 pounds?

Why don't you get dan to travel. £160 is a good price and about what i would have charged too. There is a possibility the head may not need skimming.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
but what if it does need skimming? then it is a wasted journey and i dnt wanna pay for some1 2 come and strip my engine and then say 'oh! i cnt do it'

i live in south london and might be able to do it for you.
am off out now but will be back on later and will pm you .

MK1 Clio 16v
I think the reason the other guy was quoted £800 is because (correct me if i am wrong) he has a 1.8 16v clio, whereas you have a 1.4 8v clio.

I've never seen a 1.4 lump but i know working on a valver will be more expensive as the engines are a lot bigger and more difficult to get out..

£300 isn't a bad price to have your head gasket done and at least you'll have somewhere to go back to if anything goes wrong with it..

My valver is in the garage at the moment having a new clutch & cam-belt fitted, which is going to cost me around the £750 mark. Think yourself lucky yours is so cheap ;)

Clio Phase II 16V
you might aswell get the head skimmed as it is piece of mind as you have gone to all the expence of doing the work.....

whilst your there you may aswell get the valves relapped into the seats.

I'm based in south london not far from the Dartford tunnel, done several head gaskets before and it's a relatively easy job. it's just the parts that push the cost up.

when i done my G/f's i changed:

Cambelt
waterpump
oil
coolant
filter
fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs
all top end gaskets
head skimmed
valves lapped into head.

All came to £110 but it's a 1.4 vaux so parts are cheep and no labour charge.....

so £300 is not a bad cost.