ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Head gasket question. 1.2 16v

Im changing my cambelt in a few weeks once i have the parts and tools needed. is it worth my doing my head gasket at the same time? im starting to get milky deposits in my oil filler cap and the engine itself is caked in oil. most of the oil itself appears to be coming from the rocker cover but thought id get them all done. im currently on 73000 miles if it matters

MK3 GTI golf 16v
as above, mayo type stuff is usual in the oil cap so check if its really needed

BMW M135i
Its not needed and a far greater job than just doing its "whilst the belts off". These engines always suffer from a bit of mayo in the filler cap due to condensation and the plastic cam cover.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
What are the "checks" to see if its needed? i was led to believe that the mayo stuff was a first sign?
It is in most engines,when the missus first had her 1.2 16v and i thought we had problems but had it a year now and its fine,i clean the gunge out of the cap every now and again,dont change the head gasket mate ;)

clio 182 'full fat'
na ive heard if u do alot of short trips, stop start driving the 1.2s are prone to this. its fine.

clio 16v
1.2 are prone to this.. s**t ventilation of the filler cap... Clean the gauze every now and then but wouldn't waste cash on it