ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

head work??? (pics)

Inferno 182FF
So today I fitted my matched inlets and after taking my lower one off it looks as if the head has had some work done. Has it had a port/polish or is this standard?

20140121_155819_zpswhtcfr7q.jpg

20140121_155827_zpswvhj3qgd.jpg

20140121_155809_zps1e5au4e6.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
That is standard they are CNC finished at the factory, I thought the same when I first took mine off.

This is a ported head

1387647865.jpg

Last edited:
  Inferno 182FF
Ha ha I've heard good things about him though! Thought I'd struck it lucky and had an engine with the head done. Was like "swweeeeeeet"!

Inferno 182FF
Ha ha! Very true after seeing these pics! I'd not seen it done before so wasnt sure, know now though!

Cup In bits
@ALD

While were on this topic, some people say not to highly polish when porting and same say do?

Whats others opinions? The argument for not polishing is it creates a small turbulence and gives a better mixture/burn. The opposing is that the air flows better on the smoother walls?

Also when your doing the guides in the throat, do you debur/chamfer the guide or just polish down and knock off what's there with an old valve?

Last edited:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
The guy that did my head left the inlet slightly ruffer than the exhaust, to help keep a little turbulence to help the mix.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Simon from Sitech did mine as a favour, as he will be mapping my car again.

ALD on here looks to do real nice work and at a very fair price.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I half expected you to say AVA.

Simon Smail? I haven't spoken to him for a while. (mapping wise, I assume you refer to the FRS?)

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Hell no not been near ava for about 10 years :cry:

Yes simon that owns sitech and does alot of FRS(ive sold my 500bhp one), but he also mapped my clio last year after i fitted my jenveys, cams and omex.
Im hoping to drop it off at the start of feb for mapping again since ive just built a high comp engine with worked head and 140mm jenvey trumpets.

I always finish of the ports with a 60 grit for the inlet and 80 grit for exhaust.

no polishing at all. No gains and no point.

All guides are de burred and cleaned up after.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
sorry for the AVA insult Neil :(

that's the way im about to go, high comp and decent head work, just bought another engine to be used as a donor.
ive been in talks with Lee down at Devil Developments (whose just done the 520bhp FRS for a mate called Will) and he was asking me if I fancied doing the new engine with a nice dry sump setup aswell.

head wise, im going to be make contact with ALD once the engine is picked up and stripped down.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
ALD, have you got any before and after flow tests for the heads you do?

is there only one option, or can you offer different spec heads?
do you offer a service of changing the valve guides/stem seals while you have it, and maybe rebuilding it back up with the supertech valves?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the spec I went with Kelv ,ported head, super tech valves, catcam springs,cams and jenveys.
I actualy lost the o ring groove on my jenvey inlet once it had been matched to the head ports :cry:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Easily sorted I just opened out a standard gasket a little and fitted that , but gives an idea of how much the ports can be opened out.

Mine are a copy of a CNC heads by Rick woods as I bought a damaged one cheap from someone for a friend for bench mark for myself. It's been tested by a friend that borrow a flow bench from and it's the same as a CNC heads head. I don't keep the test results myself as it's just a tool to make sure I'm doing it right and the just go to the specs after. It's the one tool I need now as I need to get my own flow bench as it's a pain traveling to his place to test a new head.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
would you mind PM'ing over a price for a returned head, with new stem seals and super tech valves fitted please.

Cup In bits
For me too please mate.

Neil any good engine machine shops down your way that you would trust to overbore the block, bigger valves, and balance a crank up?

Is everyone just fitting the standard size supertech valves, do they do oversize? I would ideally like to overbore mine to near enough 2100cc when I build one and bigger valves to suit the bore.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Only place I would use local to me would be Anderson Engineering , but Agra in Dundee have a decent rep aswell.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
...I would ideally like to overbore mine to near enough 2100cc when I build one...
Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but I assume you are talking about overbore on the F4R? Is it actually possible to overbore to that level such that 2100cc is achieved? My understanding was that it would be incredibly difficult / risky to overbore these to such levels? (My 'understanding' is often wrong, and of limited technical scope) :eek:

340i
Please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but I assume you are talking about overbore on the F4R? Is it actually possible to overbore to that level such that 2100cc is achieved? My understanding was that it would be incredibly difficult / risky to overbore these to such levels? (My 'understanding' is often wrong, and of limited technical scope) :eek:

The largest you can safely run is an 84.00mm piston IIRC. Standard size is 82.7mm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Going to a 84mm bore will give 2061.54cc ,I think thats the largest off the shelf pistons you can buy.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The largest you can safely run is an 84.00mm piston IIRC. Standard size is 82.7mm.

Going to a 84mm bore will give 2061.54cc ,I think thats the largest off the shelf pistons you can buy.

Think the head can be opened up a little bit to to same as 197 size, so could be fairly close

Thanks guys. I was curious as I thought 'large' overbores on the F4R could seriously impact on the cylinders, galleys, etc. :) Cheers.