ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight corrosion

Hi,
My headlights have a corrosion, its quite bad and the plastic is really foggy in places. I saw looking through the sites and one (I thought it was JLS tuning who advertise on here) had a process/product to fixing it, anyone know if its a DIY job? If so how?

Ta

Storm Grey 200
lol at JLS Tuning, making cars hearts beat again?

I did a guide how to do it, but you will need a machine polisher, there is usualy someone near you that will do it for a bit of cash, Maybe "The Boosh"

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mate, go to halfords and buy some 1500 grit wet & dry paper and pop round to mine. Can do it you whenever.

JMS thats the one (I was hitting refresh page to get the banner up but it wasnt happening for me).

Boosh you gonna have your work cut out lol, what i'll do is arrange it for when its good for you, and we'll do the whole car if thats okay (I'll make sure your compensated ;) Do you have a de-denter too?

Whole car isn't an issue mate. No not got a de-denter I'm afraid fella :(
No probs Luke, im gonna get (hopefully) some of these pulled out (got quite a nasty one on the roof!). An get my bumper resprayed first (any work on the bumper will peel it off its terrible at the mo).

Monaco 172 (02)
I had a go at my headlights on the w/e.
The general corrosion came off OK, but I have some severe what looks like very small cracking within the plastic to thetop of the headlight.
I couldnt get this off, the plastic on the headlights doesn't seem to be the best.

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
yeah my 172 lights are bad at the front to.... Really need to get these done but dont trust myself in doing it :S

We still can carry out this service, however we prep the lights with varying grades of wet and dry and then use the body shop next door to polish them up as the guy in there really knows his onions when it comes to headlight correction.

Will I got your PM btw, I'll reply shortly. :)

Monaco 172 (02)
I think my headlights are worse than any of them above :(
I did have a go with some wet n dry etc. with a polish after, and you cant feel the marks anymore, they seem to be within the plastic and its mainly around the upper side of the headlight. Doesn't seem to be a cure for then worst of it then...?

Yup you just have to keep going at it with 1500 grip paper, keep it wet and keep the plastic cool. This is important when polishing - easy to warp the plastic due to overheating I've been told.

Monaco 172 (02)
I might have another go then!
They look in such a state before putting the polish on though I get nervous of ruining the plastic beyond repair.
I will have a go though, may post a guide aswell for the ph1*2 models. The Ph1's dont seem to suffer with the deeper cracking look of the plastic as far as I know, they generally go hazy more than anything.

Apart from getting it too hot its very hard to do serious damage. The guy that does ours uses a 3M cutting compound (I don't know which) and it takes next to no time to clear up the wet'n'dry haze.

Was going to include this in the detailing guide that I am currently working on. If you write one up, I will edit it in to the main guide.

Keep in touch.

Jamie

Nothing wrong with it Nick, little bit vague on products used in the polishing and then about sealing etc afterwards, but not a major point by any means.

Monaco 172 (02)
There is nothing wrong with it but I went by that guide and I assumed you couldn't sort the cracking effect that occurs at the top of the headlight.
It worked fine on the general haze, but as the cracking look appears to be common on a few 1*2's it may be useful to show they can be taken off aswell.

Storm Grey 200
I have sorted out the top section of ph2 lights no problem, i just dont own a ph2 to make a guide. You just have to use some elbow grease, to get them out you have to take a fair bit off the light.

Storm Grey 200
lols, its pretty freaking simples, wet sand all the defects, polish the shiz out of it, give it some wax

Luke, I wish you were too x

And nail head hit.

me; Sorry, not as good as I wanted it :(
clients; Eh??? Looks brand spanking!! What are you on?!

Monaco 172 (02)
Well I won't bother with a guide then if theres no need for one.
But the way I read it is that that process works for the haze. If like mine there are lots of things that appear to be cracks within the plastic then I assumed you couldn't get them out. They do look cr@p though as they currently are and I'm not even into my detailing.