ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Problems

Clio 182
I drive a 54 plate 182. Last week I noticed my drivers side headlight had gone pink, after looking it up apparently it means the bulb is about to go. I've ordered some new ones (eBay specials for now) but I haven't fitted them yet.

I went out today and the headlight was completely out, so that confirmed that the bulb going pink means it's dying BUT when I got home, it's now working and is bright white like it should be.

Now its back on, I'm wondering if it's the ballast I keep reading about and not the bulb, has anyone else had this?

I'll be changing the bulbs on Tuesday anyway, but it seems strange how the bulb is changing colour, going on/off on its own.

Last edited:
  dan's cast offs.
use the stalk to turn them on and off a few times, had a few that this has worked with, assume it's something to do with the autolight setting?

Clio 182
It seems to be turning on/off fine now.

I did notice though that it takes a couple to seconds to come on and reach full brightness, unlike the other side which is full brightness straight away. The problematic one, is changing colours, between pink and really bright white. Whereas the other one is a duller yellow colour. Almost like a 4300k bulb one side and a 6000k/8000k the other.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It seems to be turning on/off fine now.

I did notice though that it takes a couple to seconds to come on and reach full brightness, unlike the other side which is full brightness straight away. The problematic one, is changing colours, between pink and really bright white. Whereas the other one is a duller yellow colour. Almost like a 4300k bulb one side and a 6000k/8000k the other.
Swap the bulbs to the opposite sides. If the problem moves to the other side, it's the bulb that's at fault. If not, it's most likely the ballast.

Clio 182
Will do on Tuesday when I'm next free and have some daylight. Will probably just replace them with the new bulbs anyway and buy a new ballast if needed.

Anyone know how much the ballast is? I can't find a new one online, only a couple of used ones on eBay.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The igniter and ballast come as a package if buying new from Renault. I don't think it was far off £250 last I heard.

That's another thing it could be actually, the igniter. If the bulb isn't at fault when you swap them it's probably worth swapping the igniters over as well.