ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlights

Mondeo ST220
Ok my car isn't a clio but this is more a general question.

I've looked into HID kits which worry me with the legality of some and installing the manufacturers xenon units would cost way too much money.

So I was looking at good standard bulbs, you can pay around £30 for a set, is there a big difference with these bulbs? Just looking for a crisper white, will make the car look alot nicer IMO.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
I'm not a Fan of any Replacement White Bulbs TBH, There's just something that I don't really like about them, as for Legality of HIDs I would presume as long as you keep the kit to around a 5-6k then you should be ok

Mondeo ST220
I'm not a Fan of any Replacement White Bulbs TBH, There's just something that I don't really like about them, as for Legality of HIDs I would presume as long as you keep the kit to around a 5-6k then you should be ok

Is it not more the fact of having no self levelling function? I thought HID lights legally had to be self levelling.

Clio & Mitsu ASX
Yes, but you can't do a streetside test for autoleveling ;)
As long as you don't overdo the colorvalue then I see no problem with tha powlize. Especially since you have a mondeo, they won't question it as long as they are set up properly.
Only thing is the MOT, then you'll probably have to switch the hid back for halogen bulbs.

Mondeo ST220
Yes, but you can't do a streetside test for autoleveling ;)
As long as you don't overdo the colorvalue then I see no problem with tha powlize. Especially since you have a mondeo, they won't question it as long as they are set up properly.
Only thing is the MOT, then you'll probably have to switch the hid back for halogen bulbs.

that sounds like a real hastle switching them back?

does anyone know if these expensive halogen bulbs do make any difference?

Clio & Mitsu ASX
It's not a hasle, you only have to switch the bulbs, the balasts you can leave where they are...

Only expensive bulbs would be philips or osram their series. Or PIAA but those aren't legal just as the HIDkit.
All the rest is crap, maybe a little blue but a lot less light output.

Mondeo ST220
yeah i was looking at the phillips ones.

so even though the balast is different you can simply switch back to halogen? you sure, i thought that HID and halogen used different voltages etc

Clio & Mitsu ASX
The balast you plug in the original connector, a black and red wire. And the actual xenon lightbulb you plug into the connectors the come from the balast. Now when you want to put in normal halogens again you just pull out the black and red wire from the original connector and put it back on the halogens.

Clio & Mitsu ASX
I know of people here in belgium that have passed MOT with hid's and a lot of others that didn't pass with them.
It's just a bit of luck, and in your case because of the headwashers you might get lucky and pass without them even questioning.

Mondeo ST220
Well apparently for the MOT the self levelling or headlight washers arent even a requirement they just check the light scattering and judge it on the look themselves. If I could find a kit that could be fitted with a gaurantee on the MOT that would be great. happy to fork out for a decent kit. It would complete my car I think.

Also with these HID kits, what happens to the reflective areas in the headlight you already have?

Mondeo ST220
Ooo just read on another site that my ST has self levelling suspension which makes the aftermarket kits legal. Not to mention the headlight washers. A decent kit could be the way forward.