ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HeadUnit/Amp/Sub Questions

Hello All.

You lot are basically going to decide for me what sort of AMP/SUB I should buy!

Firstly I know nothing about watts and channels etc so help me out!

OK, I have the below headunit, its a JVC KD-SHX701

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1102875020__jvc.jpg

A bit of info on it:

Power Output Per Channel:
50 W

Pre-amp Outputs:
3 sets

Pre-amp Output Voltage:
5 V

What can this system handle?

Right, I mostly listen to Hip Hop and RnB, so considering this what should I go for?

1x 10" sub?
2x 10" sub?
1x 12" sub?
2x 12" sub?
1x 15" sub?

I dont what a sub that is just pure noise, I would actually like to hear the words and everything else in a tune, but bass is obviously crucial!

If possible I would like to have a JVC amp and sub to keep the brand thing going but this is mandatory.

I have seen amps that have 2 channels and some that have 4 channels.
Whats the difference?

So lets say I have a sub that is 700W max and nominal 350W, what power amp should I buy? And if I have two subs at 700W max should the amp pwer be doubled?

Also is it dangerous to run subs at max or should it be kept within nominal?

Guys, sorry for all the questions, but Im sure I will learn as I go along and from your replies.

PS. They dont have to be JVC, so If you would like to recommend another brand sub and amp please do so! I will probably spend between £200 - £300.

Thanks all.

silver valver/hybrid

for the type of music i would go with a 12" maybe a duel voice coil if funds allow! re- matching amps to subs, try to get them to match watts at RMS forget all these max values, load of crap. to wire the sub to an amp use this as a guide http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asphttp://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

subs are best just to play the bass, then get some decent comps or coaxils up front, for the rest

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.ukhttp://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk to start u off!

I have 4 speakers in my Clio. Do you think I should upgrade them?

[Edited by GeeUK on 12 December 2004 at 7:28pm]

Oh, what does RMS stand for?

Polo + Micra

i doesnt really mean anything

i does how ever give a good start to compairing equipment

[Edited by Dink16v on 12/12/2004 7:48:11 PM]

Spend £100+ on decent components, buy a decent amp and a 12" sub if your into Hip Hop etc! The set-up in Robs (my old Clio) was mint and didnt cost the earth. I like Alpine:cool:

H22A7 Accord Type R

lol.........Gee, if u want a listen to mine, gimmi a shout (he only lived bout 3 miles away from me Col lol)

But, i aint got the sub in any more, too heavy and too much rear weight...........amp now runs some 6x9s for the bass. I need to disconnect the std tweeters too.........as the good alpine tweeters are being shat on by the noise the std tweeters still make.

Rob.

p.s. rms stands for root mean squared like someone else said but what it actually does/means is the amount of power the amp gives or the sub gives at a continous rate (sp) and peak is the highest it can give (i.e. lab conditions etc)

p.p.s its dangerous to have an amp thats not powerful enough for a sub rather than the other way around.

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 15 December 2004
p.p.s its dangerous to have an amp thats not powerful enough for a sub rather than the other way around.

well this isnt actually true. Its only bad if the amp is forced into clipping

BMW 120i Sport

Dont lose sight of the fact that a speaker rated at 250w RMS may be able to take a 1KHz tone contiuously, but itll probably be mechanically blown if you were to feed it with a 45Hz tone at 250w. Long throw suspension is your friend here to allow good cone movement.

See RMS as an average and forget about peak, although its an idea to have an amp thatll be able to handle the peaks because you might run the risk of clipping the amp (as Dink says) although youll probably melt the voice coil well before then.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Im conflustered with the jargon....:confused:

so we want the amp rms to be equal to, or higher than the sub rms ???

I have the JVC head unit as above with focal components in front, focal coaxils in rear, (beside seats)

Sound quality is UNREAL (even with standard speakers) :cool:

Impressive h/u - little tricky to get used to operating but worth the fidgeting around lol

Havent quite mastered the animations you can upload to the screen yet - but im gettin there

Focal speakers - top notch! £300 front n rear wif dynamatt on the doors

Priced a focal 11" sub enclosure (in box) with audison 4channel amp to power fronts and sub - 480

I wudnt be a big fan of full boot intalls - 2 much weight and £££ that could be spent elsewhere.

Im happy with my H/U and speakers for now - hoping on my bodykit first :D

Punto/Clio GTT

ide always recommend gettiung an amp that has a higher rms than the sub, so you can turn it down slightly and not run it at full power. Ive sen people melt amps left right n centre due to em being run flat out for hours on end.

i got a 300 rms sub and its powered with a 2 320 rms amp (slightly turned down)

Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 December 2004

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 15 December 2004

well this isnt actually true. Its only bad if the amp is forced into clipping

this is what i was talking about dink, dont want to be feeding ac into an amp now.

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by connor on 02 January 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Dink on 15 December 2004Quote: Originally posted by connor on 15 December 2004 p.p.s its dangerous to have an amp thats not powerful enough for a sub rather than the other way around.
[/QUOTE]

well this isnt actually true. Its only bad if the amp is forced into clipping[/QUOTE] this is what i was talking about dink, dont want to be feeding ac into an amp now.

d.c into the sub;)