ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headunit

I've searched but I can't really find the exact answer I'm looking for, in terms of product recommendation.

I'd like an aftermarket headunit that has/can:

o blue lit display
o *rear* USB - I don't want cables hanging everywhere or USB sticks poking out.
o Can use stalk controls
o Can use the display in a 182

Would like decent sound quality, I think my budget is reasonable at a desired price point of £100-120, stretching to max £150.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Clio 182
Iirc the pioneer x8500 should tick all boxes apart from the display- where it will only read Renault and clock/temp. Comes with b/t, dab also, connects2 adapter would sort out steering controls. And you can choose any of something like 2.5k colours for key colour and surround colour so could even two tone it.

Inferno 182
I recently fitted this. Pioneer DEH-x8600 dab. Display has many colour options,needed a additional lead for the stalk but still came out under £150. I think you will struggle to get a head unit with rear USB. I use a 32gb sandisk cruzer blade and it's half the length of most memory sticks so hardly notice it sticking out.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...productId_1007676_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

image.jpg

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Another vote for the Sandisk Cruzer fit. See the right side of this pic.

DSCF1821s.jpg

That's a Sony MEX BT3600, got it for £100 second hand and does everything you said (save the display which as previously stated very little can do, likewise with the rear USB) as well as having full bluetooth functionality which I honestly love. Having your music straight away without plugging anything in FTW.

The sound quality was superb with the Xplod preset.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Cool. Makes sense considering how small that is.

I used to be OEM to the core with headunits but sync tech has moved the game on too much.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My mate used to have his in the glovebox of his ax gt, link to his ipod classic. Good times.

Listerine & Poledo
here you go.

you'll need to source the relevant cable to hook the stereo into the stalk and dashtop display, but everything else is there.

It's over budget, but just one of those and a little sub-&-amp in a box will be all your reasonable ICE needs covered.

Inferno 182
Cool. Makes sense considering how small that is.

I used to be OEM to the core with headunits but sync tech has moved the game on too much.

I was as well,wanted to stay OEM but the Clio head unit is so dated with what's out there now. Love the MIXTRAX on Pioneer.
Absolute 80s and 90s on DAB is quality.
I also use the USB a lot with 32GB and a very easy search function I have nearly 100 albums if not more on a product the size of my thumb nail. Saves filling my phone up with music.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Perfect. They're ideal in the TT because of the nice cover over it.

I recently fitted this. Pioneer DEH-x8600 dab. Display has many colour options,needed a additional lead for the stalk but still came out under £150. I think you will struggle to get a head unit with rear USB. I use a 32gb sandisk cruzer blade and it's half the length of most memory sticks so hardly notice it sticking out.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...productId_1007676_langId_-1_categoryId_165655

image.jpg

If I buy that head unit, where do I get the adapter to get the stalk on the steering wheel to work?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

After Goodj suggested the CDE-178BT I started looking at Alpine's headunits. In the end I'm going to go with a mechless Alpine IDE-178BT and stretching the budget slightly. Also going in will be one of their PWE-V80 underseat woofers. Was only planning to spend £100 on a woofer, but I've decided not to replace my rear speakers (FLI halfrauds cheapies) for now and spend the extra money on these two items and replace the speakers at a later date.

Opting for the mechless unit as I plan to use a storage device so don't need the CD player part, though I haven't decided what device yet. Considering between my iPhone, a concealed large capacity USB stick or solid state hard drive. Would ideally like to have a mass storage device AND be able to have easy connectivity with the iPhone. The head unit can charge via the rear USB so it would be very simple to knock up a replacement ash tray with a iPhone dock fibred/bonded into it like I've seen on other cars/forums. It would be a lot easier than soldering a connection to the 12v ciggie power and running a separate 3.5mm cable to the audio auxiliary. I don't really want to stream audio via bluetooth.

Car Audio Direct also supply Connects2 stalk/patch leads and are the best prices by far I've been able to find for anyone looking.

Would anyone be able to tell me, the head unit says it's rated for 4x50w rms output, in realistic terms is that likely to be a true output? The speakers in front are Pioneer TS-Q131C direct replacement set rated @35w nominal power, with FLI rears (~£30 at halfords) rated @60w RMS. I gather the FLIs will probably be of a poor quality and that the Pioneers should be better, but is it worth replacing the pioneers for something that can make use of the extra 15w RMS the head unit can put out? Ideally I'd like to avoid using an amp.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

After Goodj suggested the CDE-178BT I started looking at Alpine's headunits. In the end I'm going to go with a mechless Alpine IDE-178BT and stretching the budget slightly. Also going in will be one of their PWE-V80 underseat woofers. Was only planning to spend £100 on a woofer, but I've decided not to replace my rear speakers (FLI halfrauds cheapies) for now and spend the extra money on these two items and replace the speakers at a later date.

Please share how you get on with that, I'd planned to go for a new headunit plus underseat subwoofer very shortly.

Listerine & Poledo
Good lad.
Speakers will be fine as they are, 4x50 is ambitious, even if that's what it says in the box.
Turnoff low-end to the speakers and let your sub deal with that.
Why not run a USB extension into the glovebox? Then you can swap USB for iPhone whenever, although you might well end up just using iPhone.
See if you can source the lead to connect head to unit to stalks AND display, you'll like that more than changing out speakers again and is about the same price ;)
If you ever want a simple power upgrade on the stereo, alpine have a "power pack", plugs in between head unit and car. No wiring needed. That will be closer to a genuine 4x50. At that point you still probably don't need to change your speakers, but may want to sound-deaden the doors and cards a bit if you haven't already. Clios rattle.

Edit-
Links
Power pack
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ktp-445a-power-pack
There's a version of this
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-renault-display-and-steering-adaptor
Some of this in your doors
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-starter-set

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
If I buy that head unit, where do I get the adapter to get the stalk on the steering wheel to work?

This is is the one I was recommended although turns out it didn't work on my 55 plate 182 as apparently Renault changed the canbus wiring on the last models
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-R...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3ef98ef9f8

got this one and works great,twice the price but worth it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-t...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item565464bfe6

This is is the one I was recommended although turns out it didn't work on my 55 plate 182 as apparently Renault changed the canbus wiring on the last models
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-R...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3ef98ef9f8

got this one and works great,twice the price but worth it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIONEER-t...cles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item565464bfe6

Ok thanks. And that just plugs into any pioneer stereo?

Or do I have to plug it somewhere else?

Inferno 182
Ok thanks. And that just plugs into any pioneer stereo?

Or do I have to plug it somewhere else?

One end goes onto the original plugs from you Renault headunit and the other into the lead supplied with the Pioneer headunit. That is a lot of plugs to fit behind a small space so a tip is to remove the hazard switch panel for more access.

Good lad.
Speakers will be fine as they are, 4x50 is ambitious, even if that's what it says in the box.
Turnoff low-end to the speakers and let your sub deal with that.
Why not run a USB extension into the glovebox? Then you can swap USB for iPhone whenever, although you might well end up just using iPhone.
See if you can source the lead to connect head to unit to stalks AND display, you'll like that more than changing out speakers again and is about the same price ;)
If you ever want a simple power upgrade on the stereo, alpine have a "power pack", plugs in between head unit and car. No wiring needed. That will be closer to a genuine 4x50. At that point you still probably don't need to change your speakers, but may want to sound-deaden the doors and cards a bit if you haven't already. Clios rattle.

Edit-
Links
Power pack
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-ktp-445a-power-pack
There's a version of this
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-renault-display-and-steering-adaptor
Some of this in your doors
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent-coat-starter-set

I'm not sure on the USB setup at the moment. In an ideal world, I'd permanently have a solid state memory device connected in the glove box, but then also have easy connectivity (including charging) for the phone. There's only one USB on the back so that would get complex. I think in the long run, my easiest option would be to make use of the auxillary rear input and wire up an iphone dock/charger to the ciggarette 12v. Then I can have best of both worlds/inputs.

I found this adaptor: http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=10728&p=CTSRN003 it's a fair bit cheaper and retains use of temperator, time/date etc on the clock which is fine for me!

That power pack is a mighty tempting option - is it basically just a mini-amplifier? Very tempted by of one those as almost everyone I speak to says amping their speakers was worth it but I'm not keen on yet more cables and weight. The doors will be silent coated, will be tweaking that though bit by bit as I don't want to cover the car in any more heavy material than is absolutely necessary.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
here you go.

you'll need to source the relevant cable to hook the stereo into the stalk and dashtop display, but everything else is there.

It's over budget, but just one of those and a little sub-&-amp in a box will be all your reasonable ICE needs covered.

The adaptor for the stalk and display states it is compatible with Clios from 2005 to 2009, does that mean it is compatible with Update List only - do you know?

Listerine & Poledo
ah, good point, missed that.

Not sure, best off calling up an Alpine stockist and asking them. If it was a tenner for the lead I'd say take a punt but it's not.

Goodj,

I'll be trying out the current speakers running off the head unit first, but if they don't cut it then I've decided not to faff around I'll just bite the bullet and use a proper amp/updated components. From what I've read and with the Clio being so small (and hardly, if ever having anyone in the back anyway), I'd be best off ditching the rear speakers and spending the extra money on better components, is that true? If I go down that route I'll have about £200-250 max budget.

Listerine & Poledo
If you expect a night/day difference, you're going to be disappointed. The only problem with the speakers is that 5.25" inch is too small to create any kind of useful bass.
The OEM speakers will be fine with headunit power and better components will need amping to be of any noticeable benefit.

So see if you can beg/borrow a sub to wire in. Using the OEM kit and small sub will be a better idea than amp & speaker work...
one of these would be spot on

also, when you go to flog on the car, all you've got to do is remove headunit and sub.....and put them into your new car!

Listerine & Poledo
Then see how you get along with that my good man :)

In your headunit, switch on the high-pass filter, this'll leave the sub to deal with the lows and the speakers can focus on what they do best.

BG Clio 182
Recently changed the head unit in the 182, the standard one was getting a bit boring and wanted to use my phone with is.
so i went into halfords, didn't see anything directly, but then I thought "ex display models" so asked about them, BINGO!!!
i picked up a ken wood KDC-BT43u for 30 quid, practically brand new, it works perfect with the iPhone 5s over Bluetooth, had to buy steering control adapter and aerial extension, all in all 47 quid :) happy days.

fatboymal

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So see if you can beg/borrow a sub to wire in. Using the OEM kit and small sub will be a better idea than amp & speaker work...
one of these would be spot on

Sorry to but in to the thread, but there's some useful info here. I have the standard head unit (04 182) and the plugin pioneer front speaker and tweeter upgrade. The sound is pretty poor, particularly using the radio.

Is there a lot I can do to upgrade the sound whilst keeping the original head unit - will an under seat active sub make any difference with the standard head unit? I have, but not yet fitted, the connects2 unit to wire in my iPhone, that I plan to use with Spotify premium.

Listerine & Poledo
The stereo will be the weakest link unfortunately. Not easy to connect to stuff and quite a weak output.
You can run a little sub, most have "speaker level" inputs but I'm not sure how these work, ideally you'd want an RCA signal to run it off of.

Fatboymal, I'd say don't waste your time trying to keep the OE head unit and get any improvement, from all the questions I've asked in a lot of places and all the stuff I've read (whilst trying to achieve the same thing) it's just not going to happen!

I've got the Connects2 box for aux input, the standard HU and the Pioneer plug & plays (TS-Q131C). I wouldn't say the sound is crap, it was definitely an improvement over standard.

Goodj, what's your thoughts on these if I'm not happy with the setup without an amp? I'll be taking the car apart when this all happens, so if I don't like the sound before putting it all back in I'd like to have a plan of what I'm going to buy.

Genesis Profile 2 amp (used off ebay)
Hertz components, either Dieci DSK 165.3 or Energy HSK 165L.5
Connects2 8awg wiring kit

and then just run the rear speakers off OE wire/headunit, or possibly just take the rear speakers out entirely?

If it was my money, and using an Alpine head unit:-

These in the front (much less agro as you dont need to fit crossovers)
these in the back
this behind the dash (why go through wiring an amp in, this will just clip into the loom, powering all 4 corners too)
this under the passenger seat (or similar, whatever you've got)

I think you're right; I hope you're right! It's less weight, less money and I think, should sit at about the power I'm looking for! I'm going to go for exactly what you've listed here. I'd already decided on that sub and I already have the Pioneer components, but the power pack I have to admit I'm dubious about, though generally it's well reviewed. A good choice to replace the FLI's I think, probably better to have slightly more amp power than the speaker needs from what I've read and frankly, I'm sure the pioneers are simply better than the FLI ones in there anyway. On top of the kit though, I am going to make frugal use of some sound deadening/anti vibration stuff (along with blue tac!) to help de-rattle the car a bit/make the most of what's there.

I guess we'll see how it pans out when the time comes and it's all in and fitted!

Thanks for the advice/help in decision making!

Polo + Micra
i'd try and get the KTP-445U and not the KTP-445A if you have't got a alpine head unit

Polo + Micra
oh i highly recommend an alpine unit (im currently using one myself with a KTP-445A)

Was the KTP-445A enough for you? I just want a fuller sound without distortion. I don't want insanely loud or anything, I just want to be able to 'feel' the music a bit more. Sounds sad I know lol. On my home system some/most of my music sounds completely different because the mid range and bass just feels so much 'fuller'.

I hope so anyway, I've bitten the bullet and dropped the dorrah. No going out for me this weekend haha!