ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heat Shield... what to do?

Clio 182
Hello guys over the past 2 weeks been getting a very annoying 'tinny' sound when under acceleration. Been reading through a fair few of the other threads on here about similar problems and how you can use larger washes etc to hold the heat shields back in place. Finally this evening I've managed to get the car up on some jack stands and have a little investigation, found out that the heat shield on the top of the manifold was cracked where the bolt holds it on, so fixed that back up tight with the larger washer method and it all ended up pretty solid. Then i started to work my way down the rest of the exhaust making sure it was all fitted securely and none of it was coming in contact with the exhaust, this all seem pretty good till i got to the rear silencer

where I found this, the heat shield wasn't really being held on by anything and i think its past the possibility of fixing it with a few larger washers.

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

Would be pretty obvious to say this is the cause of my problem so was just wondering whether I should replace this heat shield or if it was safe to just remove it as I'm struggling to find any replacements

Even though this seems to be the issue the noise sounds like its coming from the front of the car (replaced cat 1/2 months ago so isn't that) with thinking this would it be safe to just remove the heat shield the whole length of the exhaust (just leaving the 2 on the front and back of the manifold) and then just covering what i can in something similar to this heat shield tape/wrap?? also is it possible for the noise to echo down the exhaust which is making it sound like it coming from the front end??

Unknown.jpeg

any response would be a massive help, cheers!

Ph2 172
Mine is the same at the backbox, I managed to just bend mine slightly so it wasn't making contact with anything. The noise also didn't sound like it was coming from the rear of the car either. Some people say it's fine to remove but I'm not sure if the heat shield protects the fuel tank at all.

If the rest of it the length of the car is fine I don't see the point in removing personally, I think all the rest of it is doing is keeping the heat out of the cabin

Clio 182
Tried to bend it last night so it was secure as possible has helped a lot but still makes a slight noise, gonna remove it tonight (just the one over the silencer) and if that stops it completely then I know it's my problem so will look into replacing it or fabricating something similar to go there, not to sure I like the sound of removing the heats holes near the fuel tank hahah!