ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

heater fan question

Hi all,
my heater fan is being very tempremental at the moment.
in others words works when it f****** wants.

so i decided to look at it this morning after reading all about resistor packs etc failing.
low and behold mine appears to be different from all the others i have read about with 5 pins.

DSC01117.gif

i am unsure how to test this pack so if any one else does can you please point me in the right direction.

i think its actually the motor because when i put it back together it worked but when i moved the car out the garage later it was not.
so i decided to dunt the motor and guess what it worked.
if it is the motor sticking is there a cure or is it a new one.
(if a new one where from .johnnydee perhaps)?

thanks Joec

Cupped 182 with Milltek
How old s your car / mileage etc. I just had to replace the heater resistor on my 05 182,but it's only done 27000 miles.It could be if your car is a higher mileage and the AC on all the time that the brushes in the motor need replaced, an auto electrician can do that or buy the brushes from a local washing machine repair bloke. It was the resisitor on my car,the fans stopped working all together,but I took the resistor out and out put it back,it worked for a few days again then went all together,dont know how to test it as no wiring guide.So new one in and all tickety boo now.

How old s your car / mileage etc. I just had to replace the heater resistor on my 05 182,but it's only done 27000 miles.It could be if your car is a higher mileage and the AC on all the time that the brushes in the motor need replaced, an auto electrician can do that or buy the brushes from a local washing machine repair bloke. It was the resisitor on my car,the fans stopped working all together,but I took the resistor out and out put it back,it worked for a few days again then went all together,dont know how to test it as no wiring guide.So new one in and all tickety boo now.
hi mate,
05 182 cup 14000 miles and a/c never really on.
Fans chucked it a week ago but came back on after playing about with fuses and the dial.
now i know that had nothing to do with it.
fans worked all week until last night.
then workrd again this morning.
i would have thought if it was the resistor pack it would just stop and not work at all.
hope you dont mind me asking but how much did the resistor set you back?

Joec

Cupped 182 with Milltek
I was in a hurry, so didnt have time to faff about online,I was £99 all in at a local Renault dealer,but he was good tbh as nobody else within 30 miles had one,butu he got one sent over to Stirling from another dealer in the west,I called about 0900 he promised to have the part by 1300,which he did,took 5 minutes to fit myself.
I also went through the checking fuses etc.But if you ask nicely they might let you plug it in to your car and see if it works,if its not that then it really has to be the motor. Guy in Arnold Clark in Stirling was going to let me check it and if it was wrong not charge me.Which he says for electrical eqpt they shouldn't do.Fortunately that was the issue.

I dont know if there is any difference,with you having AC and the FF that I have having the full on climate control? AC seems to have been on constantly in mine so I did originally think it would be the motor brushes.

Hope that helps.

Iceberg 172
The resistor pack (actually a rheostat) is up to the top right in your picture, though not clearly visible on that pic. If you follow the taped up wires running along the bulkhead you will come to it.

Unplug the five-pin connector, short a wire across pins 1 & 5 and the fan will come of full blast once you turn the demister on if it's the rheostat that is shot (common problem).

It's held in by two 6mm bolts and takes about 10mins to change, though the bolt on the far side is a pain to get to.

I've just replaced mine and it cost £86.21 + VAT = £99 from Renault. Part number was 7701 051 272 for mine ('53' reg 172 with A/C and Valeo heater motor) - not sure if the 182 ones are the same but sounds like it from koevoet's identical price.

thanks mostro,
tried to follow the wires but could not see the plug you mean .
will have another look later.
problem is it is intermittent at the moment so fault find is tricky.
i am still wondering why it kicked back into life after i gave the motor housing a knock.

Joec

Iceberg 172
Well mine looks like this one:
17102007242.jpg

and it's the connection far top right. Is yours different, looks like it may be comapring the two? Does it have A/C?

Iceberg 172
problem is it is intermittent at the moment so fault find is tricky.
i am still wondering why it kicked back into life after i gave the motor housing a knock.

I would think that's more likely to be a sticking fan motor tbh anyway.

thanks mostro.
yours is different from mine from your pics .
the wiring with the red plug and 8 wireas on mine seems to go under the other scuttle panel so need to remove wipers to follow it. but i dont have the plug going into the top like you.
yip it has a/c but not c/c.

koevoet i know the arnold clark you mean thats where we bought the car from.

Iceberg 172
Ah right. Not sure then. Someone like edde or Fred will know. PM them if they don't see this. Getting the wipers off can be a right biatch.

good luck

Im new here folks, this seems like a very active forum which is nice to see.

Ok the main reason I joined is I need help with my heater. Mine also is only working intermittently. Usually nothing is blowing out at all (hot or cold, makes no diff). But other times it just starts to blow whenever it likes.

So from what Ive read here I gather its most likely to be the heater blower motor and not the heater resistor ?
If it is more likely to be the motor and im salvaging one from the scrappers what years of clios can I get one from? Mine is a 2004 with air con.

(On a side note, when you press the heater button to clear the windows should the air con light be coming on?)

Clio 172mk2
i dont think cups have a resister pack as thats just on climate control models yers will just be air con.

try dials or the fans

When you press the clear window button fans shud blow on full and yes with aircon.

clio 1.5 DCI
Hi everyone , I have a Clio 182 from 06 around 57000 km and 4 days ago my AC just stop working, I mean the control itself turns on I can increase and decrease the temperature but the fan never start working! Is it the resistor?

Westfield, 182, 200
If you have climate control (electronically controlled fan speed) and it blows flat out or not at all, regardless of the speed setting, chances are the resistor pack/rheostat is at fault. To test it link pins 1 and 5 out on the plug that clips into the rheostat.

If the fan operates intermittantly, chances are it's a faulty motor or motor connection.

Ian.

clio 1.5 DCI
If you have climate control (electronically controlled fan speed) and it blows flat out or not at all, regardless of the speed setting, chances are the resistor pack/rheostat is at fault. To test it link pins 1 and 5 out on the plug that clips into the rheostat.

If the fan operates intermittantly, chances are it's a faulty motor or motor connection.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. Do the test you mentioned the fan will start working?

Westfield, 182, 200
If you link pins 1 and 5 the fan should rum flat out, if it doesn't the fan motor is faulty.

My rheostat went and i linked the pins out until i got another one. If it is the rheostat, best option is a repair on ebay, new they're over £100!

clio 1.5 DCI
If you link pins 1 and 5 the fan should rum flat out, if it doesn't the fan motor is faulty.

My rheostat went and i linked the pins out until i got another one. If it is the rheostat, best option is a repair on ebay, new they're over £100!

So I linked the 2 pins, once I turn the key on he fan started straight away, happens that I lose all the controls.

Good thing is that now I think it's clear that the problem is really the rheostat

Clio 1.5 dci
Hi ive had problems with my fan it would work for abit the it would eventually slow down then stop!
I have power to plug to the resistor pack iys the flat one and also have power to the fan red and black wire from resistor so taken fan out and wired straight to a battery nothing so fan is knackered! Im i right???