ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heating gone + coolant loss

1.2 16v
Back to the work horse! So I've had my car since September '12. It's a 2002 1.2 16v. It's had a few teething issues but I got it for £750 so I knew what I was buying into.

The first thing I had done was the fan belt and after the water pump was breaking up (sounded like the bearings had gone?) I had the water pump and timing belt done at the end of feb. Apparently if I had left it any longer the belt would have proper shagged the engine up it's piston! ;)

Since I've had it, my heating has never worked. So ive gone this entire winter without it. When what I thought was the water pump started I put it down to that. I'm not 100% sure what this has to do with heating but I had the idea that the coolant heats up the air passing through the heaters or whatever.. Please do correct me if I'm wrong lol. Or is there a heating matrix type heating component?

Since the water pump change, there is still a bit of gradual coolant loss as before, where it's going I have no idea. I can't even check of it's dripping on the floor because it's either wet or has snow on the ground, typical England. Im thinking/hoping there is a leak some where around the pipes. I don't think it's getting eaten by the head? Because there's no coloured smoke etc, absolutely nothing in terms of symptoms apart from what I'm writing here. Well from what I can tell!! and it's running perfect..sounds great and runs great. Apart from this. And the heating.. And rear wheel bearing. Lol. It's now on the minimum line and will need topping back up very soon.

Had a service at the same time as the belts and the mechanic put a few advisories on as a wheel bearing and rear brake hub. apart from that he said it is a great little car. I have not been back to him yet because I want to get a few ideas before going back this week.

Heating..

The fans are working on every speed and all fan types. But it's just blowing out cold air. As well as that the engine temp needle, from cold start I can set off, it'll go to bar 4 or just over, an it will just drop rapidly to bar 1 or 2 and very slowly rise to bar 3/4 again where it will just sit there forever, sometimes gets to past 4 but doesn't quite make it to 5 (half)
Once the car settles the needle just under 5 I run the heater on setting 1, hottest and it blows out a slight bit of hot air, but not enough to keep you warm on these cold days because of the speed it's coming out it just turns back to cold.

It also seems like a bulb behind the dials has gone, could this be a factor for heating? The first dial is the temp control, that is lit up perfect, then the fan type is slightly lit but the fan speed is very dim and almost dark.

There also no excess gunk under the filler cap. From what people have been saying it's normal on 1.2 to have maybe half a cm worth. See pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363648464.320675.jpg

I had a further look today and I've found these parts pitted in a white.. Looks like you know when ya spray deodorant on your clothes? ThatImageUploadedByTapatalk1363648540.867987.jpg I dunno what it is, maybe it's some kinda grease or sealant, maybe it's normal I don't know it just caught my eyes.

Thanks for reading, please ask anything as I want this diagnosed because I'm starting to hate having no heating :(! Bleh.

Could there be a blown fuse or relay or something? God I hope..

Regards,

Craig
North-east.

1.2 16v
Am I correct in thinking the termostat which takes takes the temp for the needle is encased somewhere where it allows the coolant to run around/through it to take the temps?
Could it be that this is busted.. and has a duff seal an maybe trickling out tiny bits at a time while it's hot and under pressure?

1.2 16v
Just read this on a site after being a google nerd for a while.

''Defective or missing thermostat that allows the engine to run too cool. Maintaining the correct engine operating temperature (usually 200 to 220 degrees F.) is essential not only for good heater output but also for good fuel mileage and proper operation of various emissions control functions. If the temperature gauge on the dash reads low, the engine is slow to warm up or you can feel coolant rushing through the upper radiator hose when the engine is cold started, the thermostat is stuck open (or missing) and needs to be replaced. Be sure to install a thermostat that's rated at the same temperature as the original (usually 195 degrees on late-model cars).''

Might this explain the needle? Still dumbed on why there is coolant loss but no coloured or excessive white exhaust smoke though :/

1.2 16v
Sorry for then many replies! First thing I'm doing tomorrow is taking the air filter off and having a look at the thermostat.

I haven't had it off yet so no idea what to expect.

What size mm socket would I need for it? 10?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Could be a leak from the waterpump itself... take it off clean it up and put it back with either a proper gasket or some gasket sealant.

1.2 16v
I've actually had the water pump changed for a brand new one at the end of feb along with the belts, naturally.
it was happening before that too so..

Could it still be the case?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I've actually had the water pump changed for a brand new one at the end of feb along with the belts, naturally.
it was happening before that too so..

Could it still be the case?

Hole in one of the hoses? A hose not on correct? Can't you park it on some dry land or put something underneath to catch it?

1.2 16v
I have kept my eye out while it has been dry a bit an there doesn't seem to be anything catching my eyes pooling up on the floor.. 9 times out of 10 tho living in the north east means it's never dry lol :eek:

Could be a hose, I checked them all today and they all seem to be evenly heated tho when the car is warmed up should I still be able to squeeze it? Should there be pressure there to stop me from doing that or not?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That is either air in the coolant system, a blocked heater matrix or a faulty head gasket.

1.2 16v
Hmm well I've been noticing that when the temp gauge settles itself.. The heater fan feels like its not working, as in nothing coming out. Tho loads comes out when it's cold maybe it comes out at a body temp/air temp in the can which means I can't feel it. but you can definitely hear something whizzing away inside.

Is there any other signs to look for if it's the head??

1.2 16v
Went for a run to asda and noticed these patches when I returned where I was last parked.. You could say take it to the mechanic.. But I've got a feelin that they would try to fleece me.. Still not found a trust worthy one yet :p
With the potential it being the head they could see it as an opportunity.

epase6uh.jpg

This looks like a leak somewhere down the pipe work/ thermo?

Cheers xx

Last edited:
  1.2 16v
Took the airbox off today..

Looked under it and noticed a pool of what looked to be a yellow liquid in a nook on what i think is the gearbox?
y4ydadus.jpg

And I've got yellow coolant So I can only assume it's leaking air in and coolant leaking out somewhere.

So I rubbed all around the pipes to see if I could find any liquid but didn't so tried running along the seems of the thermo housing and low and behold.. Found a flapping bit of the sealant stuff which is coated in a residue just like the pool on top of the gearbox. Weird....

u4enedam.jpg

Last edited: