ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heatshield rattle, not sure how to fix it

Looking for 182
Hi all,

I've only had my car a few weeks so still trying to get to grips with it all. I've searched and have seen this is a common problem, but I'm still unsure how to fix it.

I notice a metallic rattle when I hit about 6k revs, but also I can hear it if I hit the floor of my boot (just patting it with my hand with a bit of force). This has allowed me to narrow it down to the heatshield. If I push the heatshield against my car and bang the boot floor, there is no rattle.

So, what can I do to fix it? Do you think it's just a case of replacing all the nuts and bolts which hold it up? If so, does anyone know what size they are and how many there are?

Also, my exhaust mounts look to be going a bit. So I am going to do this fix tomorrow (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=334696&highlight=exhaust). Could this also make the rattle worse?

Thanks in advance

Clio 1.5dci
I found the heat shield was broken around the washers, so they weren't holding it up anymore.

I bought fresh nuts, matched the existing and bigger washers. Don't know the size of the nut though I just took the existing one to B&Q to match, 10mm to get them off.

You may want some WD40 to get them off, mine were badly rusted.

koi

Audi S1
I just took the 2 bolts off and stuck a couple of larger washers on, not sure how long it will last though. No need to jack the car up for this.

Looking for 182
Excellent, thanks for the help.

I had a look tonight and there are two bits which are rattling. One area seems to have rusted and the heatshield has completely come away from the bolt. Then there is another bit further up the exhaust, I don't know the real name for it but it's rattling around up there too.

I'm just going to glue the bits that are rattling to the underside of the car :)

Clio 182 arctic
Excellent, thanks for the help.

I had a look tonight and there are two bits which are rattling. One area seems to have rusted and the heatshield has completely come away from the bolt. Then there is another bit further up the exhaust, I don't know the real name for it but it's rattling around up there too.

I'm just going to glue the bits that are rattling to the underside of the car :)
it would probably be easier to just get some bigger washers. mine was annoying me for ages, everytime i went over a bump i could hear it knock. 10mm deep socket to get nut off, big washer on, nut back on, job done.

Trophy #240/R33 GTST
As was said about the WD40 use a lot and be careful. on my one the entire 'bolt' is now loose so i can't get the torque on it. They are just like little rivet ends in the boot!
Slow and steady lots of wd40 and winding and unwinding!

Looking for 182
I've seen a few threads where people have mentioned just gluing the troublesome spots with Araldite. This shouldn't be a problem should it?

The reason I'm not going down the washer route is because one area where it is banging doesn't actually have a bolt there. I'm not sure why it is causing problems in that area but as I mention I am planning on just gluing it to sort it out for good.

Looking for 182
I've used Araldite to glue up the bits which were knocking and it seems slightly improved. But it still sometimes rattles when I hit 6k+ revs, which is really annoying.

I'm sure it's just a case of getting back under there and gluing some more; but can anyone think of anything else which could cause a loud metallic rattle from the rear at 6k+ revs?

Looking for 182
This is doing my head in now.

I've glued so many loose bits of the heatshield now and if I hit the underside of the car, or tap the exhaust/heatshield with some force there is no noise at all. But I still get a nasty metallic rattle/vibration at 6k+ revs, it now just sounds a little different.

I really don't know what else to do :(
Any ideas what else it could be?

Here is a video. The first sign of the vibration in this video actually happens well under 6k revs which I haven't noticed before:

[youtube]dSqe7pwIEyo[/youtube]

ITB BG 182
just push it up against the car and duck tape it around the bolt then it a job done 10 second job (not car)

Or replace the nut and use a bigger flat rubber washer if possible.

Clio1.2, Dodge Caliber
I don't really know what this means, but is this something I can check/fix myself?

Thanks

With the engine off give the rear boxes a good hard thump with your hand and see if you can hear anything rattle inside. May also be a loose mounting bracket somewhere along the exhaust.