ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy clutch - possible problem?

Renault Clio 172
Ok, I've had my 172 a week and to me the clutch is really heavy =[ trying to hold the car still on hilled junctions is pretty hard and pulling away can't seem to be done with any speed without wheel spinning! Wheel span I have done in front of the Rozzers =/ luckily they didn't say anything!

One of my friends, sadly an avid 306 lover, drove it and said it definitely doesn't feel right. Seems to him that when changing gear the clutch puts up a fight for about 75% of pressing it down, then suddenly gives way. He said possibly a problem with the clutch itself, or an air blockage!?

Any ideas on what it could be?

~ Barbie172 x

BMW E30 325iiiiii
its a cable clutch, so it wouldnt be a air block, anf they are heavy compared to other cars so it could be normal, but, riding the clutch, which is sitting with the car in gear at lights or in traffic and letting the car move forward slightly. Basically destroys clutches in cars.

a new clutch will probably fix it being heavy.

S4 Avant
There's still nothing wrong with your car, as in your other thread. They just have heavy clutches.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
As above they have a heavy clutch and you realise it more when you've been in another car.
You'll get used to it and wonder what the fuss was about

Renault Clio 172
I'm slowly getting used to it. A few people have stalled mine too when driving it!
~ Barbie172

Nothing at the mo :(
I prefer the hard clutch. I sometimes drive the misses new ford ka and the clutch is so light I hate it.

Renault Clio 172
Hello, this is the said friend who has the 306.

Kirsty had it wrong with the air blockage, i hadn't said that. Is a cable. I understand that with the 306 which is also renound for heavey clutches, because the cable with age just becomes stiff and can be sorted by replacing the cable. I just live with it.

But i have driven Kirsty's 172 and i find it hard to believe that its just the cable. It starts off heavey as put the clutch down about 25% of the way and then just seems to give way and not be stiff.

This makes it difficult to easily get biting point. I wouldnt mind if it was stiff all the way. The biting point is within the stiff part of the pedal, nearest the end of release.

Not sure if this is common. Any comments would be great.

Thankyou
John

Renault Clio 172
John- ah ok then. How do you lot deal with that would drive me mad. I will stick with my 306 :p

Thanks for the reply

Renault Clio 172
John- hehe love the inuendo. She fell straight into that one.

I don't need to man up like has been said i dont drive a clio.

306 rallye is the way forward lads. Just messing with ya. I like the clio but i just prefer the 306's (they're cheaper too :cool:)