ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy & sticky clutch.

1.2 16v 2005
Hi guys,

Wonder if any of you guys can tell me- is it natural to have a really heavy clutch on a 2005 1.2 16 clio? It really getting to me now- it hurts my knee to press it- been told that its ok by renault- but i still figure its way way too heavy. Is there anything I can do to ease it off. Got to be honest- if there is nothing that i can do i'll have to sell it.

Whats the going price for a mint 2005 1.2 16v dynamique in capsicum red? - c. 27k on the clock- all motorway miles.

Just for info - its a cable fed clutch- not a snazzy hydraulic one.

Cheers in advance!

Dave

same here, exact same car. although i guess im just used to it now because it dosent really bother me...

yup, its a trademark of the clio.

Just think of it this way: when you come to get a proper sports car you'll be used to the clutch. Plus, it saves 10 mins in the gym as your always working it out. Be careful though, you may end up walking in circles!

1.2 16v 2005
Well dci versions use a hydraulic clutch- is there no way to bodge it on - or is it ECU controlled?

BMW M135i
Just how it is i'm afriad, I wouldn't have thought it'd be possible to convert it to hydraulic as the gearbox bell housings will be different etc.

When I first had my first one I was forever putting it into neutral in traffic, your leg just gets used to it. My left leg is stronger than the right because of it, tend to put the clutch pedal through the bulkhead when I get in another car.

I never used to but I prefer a manly cable clutch to any of this hydraulic girlyness now, you get a lot more feedback through it too.

Wonder if any of you guys can tell me- is it natural to have a really heavy clutch on a 2005 1.2 16 clio? It really getting to me now- it hurts my knee to press it- been told that its ok by renault- but i still figure its way way too heavy. Is there anything I can do to ease it off. Got to be honest- if there is nothing that i can do i'll have to sell it.

Whats the going price for a mint 2005 1.2 16v dynamique in capsicum red? - c. 27k on the clock- all motorway miles.

Just for info - its a cable fed clutch- not a snazzy hydraulic one.
All Clios use cable clucthes. They shoulnd't be excessive it depends what your used to I've nver found any cars as heavy as a Clio clutch. if I had to drive round town much I'd never buy a Clio the clutch is to heavy.

Price try Auotrader motorway miles makes no difference as none can prove one way or the other.

Try another Clio 1.2 if you think your is a freeky one.

but why is the 172 clutch so stiff?
Due to the design of the clutch etc.

Well dci versions use a hydraulic clutch- is there no way to bodge it on - or is it ECU controlled?

Nope dci CLios use cables clutches

You could fit a hydrolic clutch to any Clio clutch the only think is costs and if you have cruise you'd need to wire in a switch to the pedal.

Just how it is i'm afriad, I wouldn't have thought it'd be possible to convert it to hydraulic as the gearbox bell housings will be different etc.

When I first had my first one I was forever putting it into neutral in traffic, your leg just gets used to it. My left leg is stronger than the right because of it, tend to put the clutch pedal through the bulkhead when I get in another car.

You could fit a hydrolic clutch to any Clio clutch the only think is costs and if you have cruise you'd need to wire in a switch to the pedal.

CTR--VX220D
A strange coincidence but when I had my Pass side [battery plinth] engine mount replaced my clutch went light.

mine is very heavy but I do prefere it to a light clutch... my mates old 182 was ultra light tho so it can vary.

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Yeah they all seem to be heavy, especially when they get hot. It's the only thing that I really don't like about my 172, especially as I live in a busy town centre, drives me billy bonkers for sure. Got in a friends Ford a few days ago and the clutch was like heaven. I could live with the Heavy if it wasn't combined with such a high biting point. Don't think I'll ever get used to it myself.

Renault Clio 1998 RN
Ive got 1998 Clio RN and ive got the same problem. The clutch is really doing my leg in. i get really bad pains in my leg because when your in heavy traffic on the motorway and your pressing the clutch so many times it soon starts taking its toll(im sure il soon have calves that will make arnie jelous). Im planning to take it to renault dealership see if theres any thing that can be done. Has any one managed to sort theres out.