ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP starting problem

Clio 1.2 51 Mk2 Ph2
hey i need some clio expert advice

I have spent 2 days trying to identify and solve my starting problem with my renault clio ph2 mk2 1.2 8v.

Basically i try to start the car up and it doesn't crank at all so my first test was the battery which seemed fine but i replaced it anyways with a brand new one under warranty, but this still hasn't solved the problem.

i placed a multi meter on the battery and tried to crank the car but still nothing and the battery still reads 12v doesn't drop voltage what so ever.

i the tested to see if i was getting a good earth on the starter which i was and tested to see if there was a constant 12v feed to the starter motor which there is.

my attention then went to the switched live on the starter which is controlled by the ignition which i was getting a 12v feed when i tried to crank the car still no joy.

my next presumption was that the starter was goosed so i went and replaced it with a brand new one........ still no joy!
after all this i was getting really really feed up so started doing some searched and seen that the crank sensor could be at fault so i took it out and cleaned it ( it wasn't even that dirty tbh) still nothing
i then noticed people saying there was loos connections on the "uch" at the passengers footwell so i had a wee look and checked they where all fine

sorry for the long spew of information but i thought i would give all the information that i could for someone out there to help me cause i am honestly stumped and cant figure this one out and really need my car back :(

ps when i try to start it all the lights are on and the battery and the stop light flicker i will post a video of this

Clio 1.2 51 Mk2 Ph2
no it turns off
i seen that if its flashing it means the immobiliser is stopping it from starting but mine isnt doing that i am uploading a video just now of the dash

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Dodgy earth to starter or one of the big mounts perhaps ?

No battery light = no circuit so I'd suggest you get a torch and get hunting ;)

Renault 5 Turbo
Dodgy earth to starter or one of the big mounts perhaps ?

No battery light = no circuit so I'd suggest you get a torch and get hunting ;)

+1 check the resistance between the engine and the chassis, if its high then the main bonding lead between the engine and the chassis could be corroded, its what happened to mine, it should be less than 1 ohm :)

Clio 1.2 51 Mk2 Ph2
just went and checked the resistance between the body and the engine jumps between 0.00 and 0.01 and i have checked the starter to see if there is a good earth contact onto the block which there is ???

Renault 5 Turbo
just went and checked the resistance between the body and the engine jumps between 0.00 and 0.01 and i have checked the starter to see if there is a good earth contact onto the block which there is ???

Sorry bud can't think what else it can be, you seem to have tried all avenues, i don't think it could be the relay either because your getting 12v to the low tension starter wire

Clio 1.2 51 Mk2 Ph2
ano thats exactly what i was thinking dont want to take it down to a garage for them to charge me a arm and a leg for trying everything i have and them not getting anywhere

could it be the ecu in anyway ?

Clio 1.2 51 Mk2 Ph2
only thing i havent tried yet is bump starting it down a hill.... but that will need to wait till tomoz so i can tow it to the garage if it doesnt work

Renault 5 Turbo
only thing i havent tried yet is bump starting it down a hill.... but that will need to wait till tomoz so i can tow it to the garage if it doesnt work

Yea give that a go in the morning mate, it could be the ECU but i don't know enough tech info about it sorry, the garage may have a diagnostic machine to decipher that one ;)