ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

helicoil spark plug holes

hello,

i understand that blowing a spark plug is relatively common on the 172.

my question is, those of you who have had a spark plug hole helicoiled, was the car ok long term after wards or did it cause more issues down the line?

cheers

Megane 225
Lots of 172's have had this done. Never heard anyone with a problem. The only other solution is to replace the head which would be extremely expensive.

Can't see it being any more common than in any other cars (ie not very common!). Usually it's when they work loose then blow out ruining the thread. I've had a spark plug helicoiled in-situ in my 205GTi (plus was loose and it worked itself out then blew out wrecking the first few threads and a new plug wouldn't tighten up). It didn't cause any problems at all, when the helicoil was fitted the guy told me to start the engine with this plug left out to blow any swarf out through the plug hole.

thanks for the advice.

i'm looking at buying a 172 as my daily driver and the one i'm looking at has had a hole helicoiled.

thanks for the info, nothing to worry about it would seem.:sleepy:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
nope nothing to worry about, is it a black 53 plate by any chance? if so i may know the car (however loads have been helicoiled, just by the off chance!)