ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - badly oxidised red, nothign will touch it

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Trying to get my Teg up to scratch, but its not working.

The process is Megs diamond cut, on a Menzerna cutting pad, did nothing :(
Then used a Lake Country cutting pad with Power Gloss to even it out a bit.

Removed TONS of RDS and swirls, but still not touched the fading/oxidisation.

A few pics, but poor quality iphone.....

Before

IMG_0687.gif

IMG_0689.gif

IMG_0683.gif

After

IMG_0692.gif

IMG_0694.gif

The Menz pad + Megs was getting VERY hot!

Any tips to try?
Tim at CYC said if the Menz pad + Megs didnt touch it then it's too far gone...true? Do I need a pro with a rotary and more knowledge?

The roof is just as bad, if not worse, too :(

Is it because its clear coated, and its the red underneath thats faded? If so your never gonna bring the red back up?? I could be wrong.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Not sure Dave, the rest of the car came up fairly well from being faded, but these have just had a lot of sun on through the years.....reallly not wanting to get them sprayed.......

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I would say thats repaint time.

Have you tried G3 on a rotary? Tried wet sanding? I'd try anything before you paint it. Then if you do burn through/f**k it up, you were going to get it painted anyway! lol.

CLIO 1.4S
i had the same problem with mine red is a b*****D my bonnet was that faded it was matt the wat i did it was tcut and turtle wax color magic red polish it took about 3 hours to tcut the bonnet rubbing it really hard my arms felt like dropping off

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Joe we can attack it with my rotory and power gloss on a cutting pad if you like? Although from reading up on DW about your problem i think Bongy is right :(

The reason i say it Joe is becuase my wife's megane paint is in a similar state, ive tried wet flatting and had the rotary on it, but all thats doing is polishing the laquer and not the red underneath thats faded.

Someone feel free to tell me im talking horse s**t tho!!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Nah dave your right. It is the paint under the laquer that has faded so all we are doing when polishing is getting the clear cote mint... Joe - we could always have a go at painting it ourselfs? ;)

Megane R26
As per DW, it looks like a respray is the only option :(

I'm shocked a car like this hasn't been looked after properly from new!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ yeah it was!
Although if I had noticed it being this bad I probably wouldnt have bought it to be honest.......live an learn though, I'll just get my wallet out...

Megane R26
But reds a s**te to stop fading. if its faded underneath the laquer, what can you do??

Most decent products have UV inhibitors etc in them, which would have certainly helped.

I agree though, red is a bugger for this!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Been in touch with a pro, he's gonna have a look over it for me at some point, said if he can do it he will.

Fingers crossed.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Once it's sorted it will be kept perfect, its just getting it to that stage!

Thing is, I'm impatient! I can't wait a few months to get it good etc, needs to be done asap!
Guess I'll get a quote from my bodyshop when I collect the spoiler...

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Next idea....vinyl wrap on the roof and bootlid?
Would it look good? What colour? Carbon?

Rest of the car will be staying standard, but this will be a cheaper alternative to spraying........

Next idea....vinyl wrap on the roof and bootlid?
Would it look good? What colour? Carbon?

Rest of the car will be staying standard, but this will be a cheaper alternative to spraying........

Carbon wrap on the bonnet, bumper and boot could look cool!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ Yeah, but would it look stupid with the car being standard?
Depends on price as would rather keep the car standard, but if it comes in a whole lot cheaper then I guess I will.

Or, do the whole car a mad colour?!?!

I think it would look good, maybe need to paint the wheels a dark colour to tie in with the carbon wrap. But then you might aswell just spend the cash on a respray?! Unless its lots cheaper?? I have no idea how much it is to get vinyl wrap done?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The thing is with red, as soon as you paint just one panel, it will stand out like a sore thumb in the dark.... Like a patchwork quilt.

Sorry to piss on your fire dude.

There's a chance if the car is old enough it may have been painted in "2 pack" paint I.E solvent paint which doesn't have lacquer over the top of it and dries glossy. If this is the case you might be able to wet sand away the faded layer and then polish it back up again, I've seen it done before.

340i
The thing is with red, as soon as you paint just one panel, it will stand out like a sore thumb in the dark.... Like a patchwork quilt.

Sorry to piss on your fire dude.

Just what I was about to say....

A friend of mine had a 1989 Honda CRX, with the same faded red panels..

He had the offside front wing damaged, then resprayed.. Looked like a completely different colour compared to the rest of the car!

Old Red Honda FTL!

The car still drives good Joe... you cant see the paint work when driving ;)

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I see your point, but it's had new bumper bonnet and wing and it looks mint....

I dunno, might just leave it I guess.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
im 99% sure that honda red has the clearcoat mixed into the top coat,

Well thats why chips away said about Ads old civic