ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Car wouldn’t start this morning!

Morning Guys,

Having more issues with the car this morning, it seems to try starting and the battery sounds healthy but just doesn’t get started! I’ve uploaded a video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYe7CqFQmHo

The only issue im currently aware of with the car is the engine management light is on, which reads...

P0420 Powertrain Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank 1)

I didn’t think this would affect starting the car though?

This has gradually been getting more of a problem – originally it would start after about 4-6 tries. This morning I must have tried about 15 times to start the car before it eventually got going! However, after I got to work (about 25 mile drive) I stopped the engine and restarted the car and it started up first time! I can’t help thinking the cold might have something to do with it as this issue usually always happens first thing early morning?

Any help MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I suspect a Crank Position Sensor fault but needs diagnostics live data to confirm. Failing that, it'll be an ignition or fuelling fault.

just a quick update to this!

It seems to be MUCH worse if we have had a lot of rain the night before....

Am I still best to change the TDC sensor???

Oh and ive found out that if I prime the fuel pump about 10 times (on one of these wet days) it seems to start almost first time.

thanks!
Dave

Last edited: