ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Civic Type R

Hi again?

I own a 2002 clio sport & I am over the moon untill my mate just bought a Civic type R gave me ago & I was taken back how quick it was.

Bragging rights down the local are between us 2 but I need to improve the performance of my sport & have £1000 to spend.

I was thinking:
Stainless steel exhaust
Sport Cat
Drilled air box
K&N panel filter
ECU remap or ebay "wonder" diode

Any advise would be great!!!

race him down some twisties and save yourself a grand :)

or.. mods listed above but and itg filter and the 'super chips - leeds' remap which has been proven to give 5bhp and 12lb/ft of torque on a standard 182

TDI tyre shreader
I'd speak to BenR and Andy at GDI/Angelworks about what they can offer you. Pm them on here

My mates dad had one for a fleet test drive over a week. I wasn't that impressed. Only felt quick once it hit the 65 billion revs band, after third it would start to leave you but I've had a play with one from standing to around 60-70 and it was even stevens and it had an aftermarket exhaust and possibly other mods. I wouldn't sweat about it.

Yaris Hybrid
I could feel no noticeable difference between my 182 and my friends CTR when actually driving them. Only when side by side do you see where the Clio is quicker <60 and the CTR is quicker >60. Even then it isn't by much.

Must be something wrong with your car unless it is normal for them to be a fair bit slower than my still new and stiff 182?

CTR's are faster though... to be expected really, just most people dont know how to drive them (or rag the f**k outta them I should say). you should be about there with it if you get panel filter, decat, stainless and possibly an RSport. Then you should deffo be quicker, unless you have one of the slow 172's with the poor matching fannimold which is fairly common apparently. Again, BenR can sort this though.

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
To be honest mate there is not much difference between the two. I raced my mate in a late spec CTR (which has more power than older version plus light fly wheel etc) at York dragway in June'ish this year with my "Y" Reg 172 sport. Both had induction kits plus he had back box and at the end of the quater mile he beat me but by roughly a cars length if that (which is less than half a second). Fours runs always the same gap regardless of time. (Check for pic in images section). Also got timing slips to prove if needed.

Save your cash.

Cheers for the info guys, great stuff.

He drives like Miss Daisy so I'm happy about that but perhaps I'm just used to my car? When I first drove it - it blew me socks off.

A Grey Slab (Audi Estate)
Thats probably all it is, been used to a certain type of car. The CTR produces its power very different to a 172, same end result but very different delivery.

Probably just it mate, I'm used to mine now, don't drive it for 2 weeks then have a rag, you'll soon remember!! CTR is a different car, you have to rinse it right at the top of the rev range it'll fly, 172 has a more progressive power delivery so will feel different. If you're mate drives like Miss Daisy you're laughing!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
id_doug said:
To be honest mate there is not much difference between the two. I raced my mate in a late spec CTR (which has more power than older version plus light fly wheel etc) at York dragway in June'ish this year with my "Y" Reg 172 sport. Both had induction kits plus he had back box and at the end of the quater mile he beat me but by roughly a cars length if that (which is less than half a second). Fours runs always the same gap regardless of time. (Check for pic in images section). Also got timing slips to prove if needed.

Save your cash.

All CTR's have 197BHP as standard....

what i noticed when i took a ctr out for a spin was that it never wheel span at all. nice enough car but not that much of a performance difference to warrent buying one. seemed to pull like a mother all the way into 3 figures and beyound providing you're ragging the tits off of it in all gears.
couldn't get used to the gearstick, but apart from that it was too expensive :eek:)

Monaco 172 2/468
I had the CTR vs. RS dilemma. Despite the ctr being a little odd shaped and longer, that wasn't why I decided for the 172. Apart from the 172 looking a lot nicer (IMO) I would have had to pay a few grand more for a similar age\milage car, which I thought was def not worth the extra cash, plus an extra insurance group.

To be honest most people don't drive above 80-90 most of the time so it's RS all the way !!