ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec catback fitted, Gearbox Oil done and full service on my mates FN2 Type R.

RB 182 FF
So after a 12 hour day and a bit of chit chat and a burger in between, the K-tec system I bought off @bashracing is finally fitted! Also the Gear Oil refreshed and a full service on my mates FN2 Type R including a drilled airbox.... !😜

Turns out my 182 had a Sports Cat fitted so I had to totally fabricate a solution with a massive grinder, stainless sleeves/clamps and also crossed fingers and a lot of patience...!

Working in a shallow pit is back breaking and I'm suffering now, but well worth it!! It's so rewarding doing your own work and solving problems... I'm very pleased with the K-tec system, the noise is just right and it looks great, big thanks to @bashracing and @gez 172 for hooking me up with the exhaust...

Also for anyone wanting a good cheap gearbox oil for a 172/182 the Honda MTF-3 is perfect as it matches the Renault specs and 3 litres to do the job is about £28 delivered on Ebay, the gearbox felt great on the drive home! 👍🏻

Also if anyone wants a superb sealant/gasket maker that withstands super high temps the 'Wynns Black Gasket Maker' is an absolute dream product, it is superb for exhaust joints and many uses....

So here's a few crap pics from today's success....

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_224845.jpg
    IMG_20200125_224845.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20200125_224904.jpg
    IMG_20200125_224904.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20200125_224933.jpg
    IMG_20200125_224933.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 123
  RB 182 FF
nice one matey, Things hardly ever go to plan when working on cars .

They sure don't you're right there!! Amazing how the hours tick by when problem solving and using trial and error...!

The best thing was the tail pipes sit lovely and snug dead centre of the holes due to the previous exhaust fitter (ProspeedCardiff) using a clever system with what looks like polybush sleeves that you can wedge in the Renault mounts and cable tie to get the heights and direction of the tips absolutely spot on... I was well chuffed, when I can I'll get better pics and the damn thing needs a serious wash!!😬

RB 182 FF
Fiat coupe turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure is! It's a Black LE with matching horrible blue and faux leather jacket... 😊 It's a future project between me and my brother when funds allow, he's had it donkeys years but sorn'd it due to a lot of work needing doing in one go... Absolutely awesome cars to drive, one of the real undiscovered gems in the car world!!! 👌🏻

RB 182 FF
Coupes are wicked! I had an electric blue Plus about fifteen years ago.

Awesome cars aren't they! If you can afford to have one as a weekend toy they're fantastic, not sure about a daily though... My bro ran his for about 4 years and needed little things here and there but nothing major, it never left him high and dry and always reliable... But it got to a point of full sus refresh, cambelt due and 2 new tyres needed so it got Sorn'd and replaced by a sensible daily sad to say...

RB 182 FF
This was the Coup and my GTV when they were both in their prime... Ahhhh the good old days!!! 🤗

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_185453.jpg
    IMG_20200127_185453.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 45

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
This was the Coup and my GTV when they were both in their prime... Ahhhh the good old days!!! 🤗
Not a fan of most alfas but a GTV was always on my want list- such good lines and that slash through the door over the rear arch! 😘

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Sure is! It's a Black LE with matching horrible blue and faux leather jacket... [emoji4] It's a future project between me and my brother when funds allow, he's had it donkeys years but sorn'd it due to a lot of work needing doing in one go... Absolutely awesome cars to drive, one of the real undiscovered gems in the car world!!! [emoji1305]

I have two, N/A 20v. One in the purple portifino blue, and the Ink blue (black) they sound amazing, occasionally start them up and give them a rev.. need to do something with them.

Never owned a Turbo but have had lots to do with them for a mate, I have all the cam lobe locking tools in my tool box too. Going to be worth some good money soon too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome cars aren't they! If you can afford to have one as a weekend toy they're fantastic, not sure about a daily though... My bro ran his for about 4 years and needed little things here and there but nothing major, it never left him high and dry and always reliable... But it got to a point of full sus refresh, cambelt due and 2 new tyres needed so it got Sorn'd and replaced by a sensible daily sad to say...
It was nice yeah. I was lucky as I bought it with up rated arb's and bilsteins on it. I had the fucker round to 150 and it was still going.
Apart from having it serviced I only had to put an exhaust on it, so I went and got a stainless one.
I only sold it as I'd always wanted a Vee. The coupe is on 100k now as I looked it up the other month. I sold it on 56k iirc.

I would have another one. I always fancied making it faster, but it wasn't slow anyway. Probably seems slow now though compared to most new cars.

One of my old pals had an Alfa GTV V6, I'd always wanted one. Went in his and was disappointed :(

RB 182 FF
The engine and gearbox were superb in the GTV but it doesn't give the same sensation of speed as the Coup does, the Coup is right up there with driving sensations, it's fantastic...!! My mate had a heavily modified Coup up to around 400bhp, it was done by Flee the well known Coup chap... We went out one night to see what it could do and the speedometer was pinned to the end of the dial, we think we were easily 165mph and still pulling but he backed out as it was getting proper scary... It was the most squeeky bum time I'd ever had, I'm no chicken but I was pooping my pants... 😬💩

RB 182 FF
So after fitting the K-tec system last week I noticed my Manifold to Cat spring bolts were absolutely nackered and almost falling off... So I ordered a new fitting kit and renewed the gasket as well, we had to do a Heath Robinson job and use some metal bar and washers to support the spring bolts, it looks a bit dodgy but is actually really solid and secured with safety wire so it won't come apart... Also tweaked the mounts again to get the tips nicely in the bumper cutouts... The black gunk is the amazing Wynns Black gasket maker just to cover corroding areas on the mani join and seal the sleeved section after the cat... I'm super happy with the K-tec system, its got a nice sound without being obtrusive... 👌🏻

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_140936.jpg
    IMG_20200201_140936.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200201_141004.jpg
    IMG_20200201_141004.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200201_140951.jpg
    IMG_20200201_140951.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20200201_141034.jpg
    IMG_20200201_141034.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 82
  RB 182 FF
The pics don't really show it but the 2 little prong jobs that seat the hats are really starting to flake badly and the metal bar is putting more pressure on the lower part of the prong arms than the hat would... I was afraid of the hats pulling through the holes after a while... This seemed to feel more secure so we'll see how it goes for now! Ideally could do with new joints welded on both sides or those clever clamp rings I've seen people make!!

RB 182 FF
IMG_20200201_233138.jpg

The purple arrows show the force is more on the lower part of the prongs than normally would have been without the metal bar if you get my drift?! The other side was actually worse than this and very scrumbly and we did it to that side first, then thought best to do both! Just hope it's an mot pass now! 🤞🏻

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I get you. The 182 ones are starting to get a bit thin there.

If you buy a 172 manifold that section seems to survive better as it's a bit more tucked up. Then you can cut it off and weld onto your manifold.

RB 182 FF
I went to rescue my bro with some jump leads this morning and gave the car a good rip on some backroads and it seems to be sorted for now... I'll look into a new section to weld on now you've mentioned it as this setup obviously isn't going to last forever.... I plan to keep the 182 for years and years to come so bodges are only masking the issues really, proper solutions definitely need addressing.... 👍🏻

RB 182 FF
I'm not a fan of cleaning cars but today was the day little Clio had to have a wash... Totally pointless where I live in rural Wales but I couldn't let little Clio suffer any longer...

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_140309.jpg
    IMG_20200202_140309.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200202_140246.jpg
    IMG_20200202_140246.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200202_135442.jpg
    IMG_20200202_135442.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 76