ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Deleting A File

dk

911 GTS Cab
Was using mkvtovob to convert a video and the output file was going to my FAT32 usb hdd, didn't realise but it got to 4gb and then just stopped at 95% as it couldn't go above to finish.

I had to end the app and then delete the 4gb output file on the usb drive.

But in my temp directory I have the .mpg temp file (4.4gb) which I obviously want to delete, but i can't, it won't let me, says I don't have the rights to. When I look at the security settings of the file it says it can't show the owner, and I can't change the security settings to add myself, can't even change the owner to myself, no permission. I am the local admin on the laptop, so I am now at a loss as to what to do. Have tried deleting in the cmd but get the same, access denied.

I wouldn't care normally but as its 4.4gb its rather a lot of space to take up!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Bumder With A Buffer
Is the program still linking to it somehow as it didnt finish?? If you get what I mean?!!

I had a similar thing when using wavepad once..

dk

911 GTS Cab
i've tried a reboot so the app isn't running anymore, it normally says the file is in use, unfortunately i just don't seem to have any permission on the file, not even as admin, the app has created the file with its permissions only it seems.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i think the file is fucked basically as i have started another conversion and the file its created has me and admin as the owners, so thats what this other file should have but it seems to have corrupt security details, just no idea how to bloody sort this out, i've exhausted my knowledge!

Bumder With A Buffer
Ahh right yes that sounds exactly like what I had with my wavepad file... couldntdelte it for s**t! But I dont think I ever deleted to be honest as it was only 3 or 4 meg!

Cupra
reset the permissions on the folder above it, setting it to replace all child permissions?

Failing that, some "Force Delete" Freeware app might help..

dk

911 GTS Cab
reset the permissions on the folder above it, setting it to replace all child permissions?

Failing that, some "Force Delete" Freeware app might help..
tried that, got a permission denied on the file still lol.

I have a feeling i'm stuck with it, thought dos might do it but nope.

Cupra
I just found this for you too....

To take ownership of the file, you’ll need to use the takeown command. Here’s an example:

takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winload.exe.mui

That will give you ownership of the file, but you still have no rights to delete it. Now you can run the cacls command to give yourself full control rights to the file:

cacls C:\Windows\System32\en-US\winload.exe.mui /G geek:F

Glad you got it sorted

dk

911 GTS Cab
I just found this for you too....

Glad you got it sorted
LOL, been there tried that, didn't work, still said access denied!

this really was a knackered file, no other way it could give me this amount of hassle!

thanks for the help though, like i said, i wouldn't have been bothered had it been a small file but it was a monster!

dk

911 GTS Cab
the issue I have now is that the original file was 3.9gb as an mkv, as a vob its now 4.4gb and that means i can't save it onto my usb hdd to play on my ps3 as fat won't bloody take it, what a wast of an evening lol.

Wonder, if I burnt it to a DVD, would the PS3 read it then as a HD file from that anyone know?

Scirocco GT 2.0
the issue I have now is that the original file was 3.9gb as an mkv, as a vob its now 4.4gb and that means i can't save it onto my usb hdd to play on my ps3 as fat won't bloody take it, what a wast of an evening lol.

Wonder, if I burnt it to a DVD, would the PS3 read it then as a HD file from that anyone know?

I can't see why not, if it fits on a DVD it should play as is.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Im not sure the exact way but there must be a way using the reg editor using the 'run' 'regedit' command?