ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Engine cut out 10 times today.

i have no idea why this happening? can anyone offer any ideas?
it seems to happen when i have my foot off the gas or clutch down when changing gears aproaching roundabouts etc.
Im waiting for a Renault mechanic to call me back.
when iyt cuts the following lights appear

Petrol
STOP
OIL

I sympathise with you mate.

I use to have a 309 GTI that did the same thing. Scary as feck on a roundabout if your travelling some, as you dont expect it and the power steering and braking just stops working.

I cant remember how mine was fixed as it was about 4/5 years ago.

i know that 106 GTis and saxos suffered from this .. it was the lama sensor ..it needed replacing !?! could be a similar problem ..it is french

Jock

ive just told i have to put it in the garage.
Mechanic said possible fault could be that the ECU needs said flushing and the ignition timings gone wrong.

Skoda Fabia vRS

sounds like what was happenin to mine

when you go up to a junction or somethin, do the revs drop an bounce back up, or stay very low and then come back up after a few seconds

occasionally cuttin out

on mine i needed a new ECU which was £250 and a new idle motor which was £80

CTR EK9 turbo

Timebomb - try re-setting your ECU. Turn the ignition on, dont fire the engine, pump the throttle to the floor 5 times, then turn off for 30 seconds. Then turn on, might work? who knows.

J

JGT

Timebomb,

Ive been having this problem with my car now for a couple of months - scares the sh*t out of you at first - especially when it happens at high speed when shifting down at a roundabout etc......have had seen to once and the garage claimed to have altered the sensors etc - helped for a couple of weeks (but revs still dropped then bounced..) but still cutting out again. Its worse when steering is on full lock or reversing....am having it in again to try and sort it - have had so many probs with my clkio now that Im giving it back in 3 weeks.....

Skoda Fabia vRS

maybe just moisture in the ignition system

try some WD40 on a few things or somethin like damp start from Halfords

350z & 16v Maxi

My old 93 1.4 Rt used to do that, sold it will still doing it, it only did it in second gear. I have an ECU for a 1.4 RT sitting in my house if anyone wants to try it.

Colin

geoff_172,

I have exactly the same problem with mine. hardly ever starts first time - i try again straight away and it starts right up.

This is also followed by another problem when i drive off - as i accelerate away the car kinds of hesitates/lurches as if it is about to cut out (it hasnt actually cut out yet, tho!) etc. Not the best description in the world, I know, but cant think of a better way to describe it.

anyone else have similar problems. Car is booked in to renault garage to have some rattles and these problems looked at, so any other experiences may be helpful for the reno engineers.

ta,

face

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Check the plug on top of the air flow sensor. Mine had just come loose.
Might not work with yours, but its worth a try.

Silver Fabia vRS

Faceman - That is the same as me but only does it in the morning after it has been standing for the night. Im going to get them to check it out and see if there is an ECU update or something? Will let you know tomorrow night.

Silver Fabia vRS

Dunno Timebomb but I only have a standard ECU.

When I dropped my car off for the service this morning they said they would clear out the ECU or update it if there was a new one avaliable.

£37 for the part and 1.1 hours labour and VAT and grand total of £127
Then i had a moan at them as they said it wasnt under warranty and they managed to speak to Renault UK and get me a CIM 70% reduction in final bill. Result £40 !

Skoda Fabia vRS

nice one......1.1 hours labour cost £90 !!!

my local trusted mechanic only charges me £20, and another garage i use for techy diagnostics charges £24