ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help!! gearbox differential?

Focus 1.8 TDCi
Hello,
After breaking down the other night, my garage have told me my gearbox differential something or other is broken and may need a new gearbox!

can any1 explain what is is and how much the likely cost will be

thanks in advance :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
differential circlip?

does the speedo rise without the car driving and gears are selectable without using the clutch?

clio 182
if its a 172 it'll be the driveshaft circlip like said above ask them to look at that first it causes the same fault as a bust diff

Hey,

I had this problem on my 04 1.4 Clio, i had just started the car and had drove for about 2mins. As I changed gears, I heard some noise and the car would not engage in gears. I had to roll to the side of the road, the rev counter was moving when revving. The clutch was just going straight to the ground and I could select gears without using it.

I got towed to a Nationwide garage via the AA, and had to leave my car there. I was then told that I needed a new clutch at a cost of £470!! I agreed to this, and then I receive another phone call, saying that the circlip MAY have broken into the gearbox and they would need another £200 on top to send the gearbox off to be stripped!! He said that this is unlikely, so I said no as I didn't not have the money for £670. I got the car back, and they gave me the circlip that was split in half. Now every time i put it into reverse it grinds, as if I am moving forward while putting into reverse. It will not do this if I put it into reverse before starting the car, or if the car has not been running for long, it will make less of a sound. It is so annoying!

I did call them back about this, and they said, this is due to the circlip in the gearbox and they did warn me about it!!!

Is this possible, or have I had my pants pulled down? As could it of just been the circlip all along? I have a guarantee on the clutch.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

'92 172, Lotus Elise
circlip going means one of the sunwheels in the differential can pop out, leaving you with no drive.

you can usually tell its the circlip and not the clutch/gearbox as you can select all gears without the use of the clutch but the speedo still rises accordingly

unfortunately, once the circlip pops out once, it creates a chamfer on the gearbox casing meaning that if you replace the circlip with a new one it could do it again! :(

renault eventually fixed this with the bolt in diff, but to retrofit one is a big job.

I got mine welded in

DSCF1659.jpg

DSCF1660.jpg

not sure if this is easily done with the gearbox in the car though :(

Hey,

Sorry to hear that, I hope that I don need a new gearbox. I'm sure I will not as all gears work fine, just the grind when going into reverse.

Any feedback on my previous comment guys?

Thanks,

Dan

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sounds like your linkage was disturbed or damaged when they did the clutch, you can adjust it but its very fiddly

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I am going to have to go to Renault, and see what they say. Hopefully if it is not the gearbox I will be able to claim the money back from Nationwide.

Thanks,

Dan