ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help!! just called my insurance company

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

and not impressed at all, thought it would be good idea to insure the alloys on the car, so just said that i had replaced them due to theft of the originals.

anyway they (direct line) told me that i cannot modify the car in anyway even though the car comes with alloys anyway (15") so therefore im not insured whilst i have these wheels on my car as it is a breach of policy.:confused:

what do i do now, run the risk or change them back. i cant face having crap 15s on the car again and cant afford to cancel the policy and get another(in which mods are allowed).:( either way im p*ssed off.

Yeah its gay aint it mate?

But ur lucky U rang n found out coz anything can happen and due to the above u wouldve had ur insurance voided!!! and believe me... it aint nice.

Shoulda rung up before getting them.. heh.

Id put the originals back on.. especially now they know you might have changed them - theyll look straight away if they need to!

nah phone them back, and say the other day u phoned and someone said you could get alloys.

Then tell them you have purchased them and ask how much it will be. If they refuse kick up a stink and they should allow it :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

I cancelled an insurance policy when my insurance told me they wouldnt cover my car with old car on 17s. They charge you for a much longer period than you were actually insured with them and I lost quite a bit of money. Should have checked before taking out the policy really, but better cancelling and getting a new policy than being in the sh*t if your insurance is void!

RS Megane DCi 175

Swap over to tesco, I think Tesco are in some way related to Directline, although Tesco do allow alloys!

I was in the exact same situation you were, and its no big deal to swap over...unless youre going to lose alot of no claims youve built up.
If youve got a few months left on your policy with Directline then stay with um and put up with 15s for a few months.

If youve just started the policy, then changing over aint gonna change much and its quite easy to cancel policies.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

well they aint gonna find me cos my car is insured under my mums address and i live elsewhere - 3 miles away!

they said under no circumstances can i modify the car because im under 25. load of crap .

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Dazz on 15 April 2004

nah phone them back, and say the other day u phoned and someone said you could get alloys.

Then tell them you have purchased them and ask how much it will be. If they refuse kick up a stink and they should allow it :)
Grrr, this reminds me of when I was looking at buying a williams, I rang my insurance up and asked for a quote on a williams and they came back to me and said 1700. I thought it was pretty steep but I could afford it so when I had agreed to buy my Williams a couple of days later I rang them again to change my policy.

Gave them the details and they said that they could not insure me on that car, I told them I had already been quoted 1700 and they just said that was a provisional quote and they could not insure me. Had to cancel the policy and lose 8 months No claims!:mad:

MartinS ive had the same think with a clio 1.6. Phoned them a couple of weeks back, got a quote, phoned them back this week to get a quote on a 106 and the clio again and they said i had to be 21 to insure either of them. I kicked up a stink and said id taken out a loan based on what they told me and they have given me a quote and they will allow me either car now :D

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Hmmm, guess I need to improve my complaining skills, that episode cost my quite a lot of money plus the no claims.

who were u with? im with NUD.

BTW i did have to old for a bit whilst the woman went and spoke to the under writers :devilish:

is that right? surely in the event of a claim they would just not pay out on the extra value of your wheels, can it really invalidate the policy?

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Fookin Spam filter! Anyway at the time I was with Thames City Insurance I would recommed them to no-one, useless b******s!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

spoke to them again and thee bird on phone has have been speaking to the underwriting manager - basically its no go i either change them back or cancel.

gonna call tecso and see how much they would be i dont have top pay a cancellation fee so thats ok ,only had the policy 3 month so id say its woth doing...

agree or not ??

yeh ull prolly get Half ur premium back i rekkon.

If u explain to the insurance companies u phoned what has happend, they might add another NCB if they really want ur business ;-)

guess im going to be up sh*t creek then :( I use renault insurance which is basically direct line. And i have booked the car in for a custom exhaust and was going to ring and tell them id modified the car.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

not goin to lose out as i pay on a mothly basis and it is not a contract.

tesco do 10% off online but the browser wont redirect me to the quote and buy page:mad:

if anyone can get on let me know.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Dazz on 15 April 2004

They wont, i was actually told that i could put alloys on my car (truly and honestly), got some for chrimbo, put them on, phoned up direct line and told them and said the same thing.

I took em off, been sat in my bedroom for 4 months, but i get to have my (nice shiney new looking) alloys on for the summer, get it lowered and its all good.

So, i would just wait till renewal and go witha less fascist company (HIC are pretty good for young people, just dont make a claim apprently), Go back to Direct Line when your over 25.

Quote: Originally posted by mr sheep on 15 April 2004

not goin to lose out as i pay on a mothly basis and it is not a contract.

tesco do 10% off online but the browser wont redirect me to the quote and buy page:mad:

if anyone can get on let me know.
Just phone Tesco and tell them you cant get the online system to work and they will give you the 10% discount.

if they cant insure u its not your fault, u can/have to end the policy and start another one. they cant fine u or add cost or anything if its their fault

yup exactly. if u end your insurance u get your premium back for the months u are not being insured for!

honestly i sh*t u not ;) Rin them up tell them u wish to cancell your cover, and wish to enquire wot refund u will be getting back.

p.s. ooops forgot to mention, generally if u paid in full and not monthly then i think u might be tied down to the first 12 months i.e. u wont get money back :cry: but its worth asking! u wont know till u have asked.

Here check this thread out, plenty of posts, with plently of good tips! esp in on the 2nd page.

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=79954&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=79954&ReturnPage=&PagePosition=1&ThreadPage=1

RS Megane DCi 175

I had the same problem with Morethan.
Id gone 6months with them thinking I had full cover inc alloys.
It was only when Connor had all this trouble that I rang Morethan and asked em to confirm it in writing that they turned round and said oops, you aint covered.

Id done 6 months and if Id had crashed Id had got nothing out of em!

But its all good now, Id paid up front and I actually got more than half of my policy refunded and only had to pay an extra £80 to insure my alloys with Tesco.

Id defo try Tesco first, and the old internet site aint working thing works too.

Quote: Originally posted by MattT on 15 April 2004

It was only when Connor had all this trouble that I rang Morethan and asked em to confirm it in writing that they turned round and said oops, you aint covered.
Hi, I have renew in May and I was under the impression that MoreThan accepted cosmetic modifications. Is this not true then?

ok i have told CIS about my alloys (i know im TPFT, but just wanted them to know incase my car got knicked) also i didnt realise about this "glitch" with TPFT policies.

they said put it in writing and send it to local rep. ive yet to hear from them, hoping they wont say nout, but it is easter and all and im guessing the lazy bar**** cant processed the letter

RS Megane DCi 175

Quote: Originally posted by TwoSugars on 15 April 2004

Quote: Originally posted by MattT on 15 April 2004

Hi, I have renew in May and I was under the impression that MoreThan accepted cosmetic modifications. Is this not true then?
Their official line is anything that does not increase acceleration or top speed.

I replaced the standard 15s on my Dynamique with 17s ~ they said that due to the difference in size it was classed as performance enhancing...and wouldnt cover me...So unless you replace whatevers standard on your car with alloys of exactly the same size then they wont cover you.

But as far as colour coding etc goes theyre ok ~ alloys and lowering equals a no-no.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 15 April 2004

ok i have told CIS about my alloys (i know im TPFT, but just wanted them to know incase my car got knicked) also i didnt realise about this "glitch" with TPFT policies.

they said put it in writing and send it to local rep. ive yet to hear from them, hoping they wont say nout, but it is easter and all and im guessing the lazy bar**** cant processed the letter
CIS dont care about non perfromance mods ( at least they didnt 3 years ago!)

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

I know why tesco give 10% off online its because u cant get a frickin quote!!!

phoned they said its working fine so no to 10% off, gonna keep callin back till someone says yes!!

it wont cost anything to cancel my current one at all.

ive noticed tescos wont give u quotes online on cars over insurance group 10/12

as for CIS, i always heard they were quite strick on any kinds of modifications?

do u reckon they will be alright with Alloys and lowring then?

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by MrAtego on 15 April 2004

Have you got a pop up killer on your PC, if yes, SWITCH IT OFF, I had same problem.
ive got a google search bar but with pop ups allowed, is there anywhere else the settings could be wrong.

dont have a problem on other sites but tescos.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

ha ha i win, £525 with adrian flux with the modded wheels thats 30 quid cheaper than those gits at directline.:devilish:

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

Quote: Originally posted by kingJimBob on 16 April 2004

whats your details sheep?

age, NCB etc?

do adrian flux do online quotes?
1.6 dynamique 2003 with 17s and lowered

age 23

3 year ncb

2 crashes in 1999

better to ring up as you have to wait ages for a quote to get back via email:)