ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[HELP] K4M turbo - gearbox wrecked due to torque

Clio and WRX
Hi There, first of all thank you for the huge load of information from this forum. I´m from Brazil and here we do not have that many mod Renaults so it´s always a pleasure to be flooded of info. Here I kindly ask some light on my problem.

First, quick resume of Clio mods:
- K4M 1.6 16v with all forged internals
- Mishimoto IC and Renault Sport oil radiator
- Garret GT25
- Scenic 2.0 (F4R) gearbox
- Tunned with a Megasquirt 2, running 1bar and aprox 240whp - we´re guessing 35-40kg torque
- Toyo R888 on 15" wheels
- Rollcage
- brake system from Scenic 2.0 with EBC yellowstuff pads, upgraded rotors and kevlar lines

THE PROBLEM: 5th gear has broken.
THE QUESTION: how do you handle this torque issue on this engine? Or my gearbox might be on it´s lasts? I do not have a benchmark here in Brazil, the custom shops doesn´t forge the gears. Thought on the Fluence GT 6mt but not sure if handles the output or if is there any known solution!

Any lights here?

Just sharing, some pics of my project :hearteyes:
IMG-20160905-WA0058.jpg
IMG-20160905-WA0060.jpg
IMG-20160905-WA0067.jpg

Clio and WRX
Hi @bloke , that´s an OEM gearbox from a Scenic 2.0. I broke yesterday the 5th gear, right after I hitched it, believe the cogs are melted :lol:
That said, I could buy a new gearbox, open mine one and put a new 5th gearset, or think in another alternative such as forged gears, different gearbox, etc.

dan's cast offs.
got a picture of the damage? plastic melted off the selector fork for 5th gear? also is the plastic oil feed broken? feed tube sill in the end cover?

Clio and WRX
Haven´t opened yet, but certainly that´s on gear by itself, it might have wrecked some cogs from the gear since the noise from the gearbox is like some screws in a can