ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dacia Logan Turbo Project

Clio 172 ph2
We also have a logan K7M 1.6 8v kompressor that has somewhere aprox 170 hp on stock internals and it`s over 1-2 years and still runs :)) ... 15,1 at 402m ,but I do believe that this will be a more reliable project with forged internals :D and more power :D
Including the Romanian Police decal set :)
=))) LOL .
I will have one though and it will be F4R'd. I've even spoken to R-UK about parts and they can be sourced...
I believe you can buy parts from here from breakers probably better prices , and we are also a big comunity :) . I also own one :D

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Damn it Cristi, you're ruining my thread here...
You missed mentioning the the VR6 powered Logan and those ~100bhp 1.4 8vs :D

Missed your post Wick, here's a reply:

The chopped springs are not that bad because the Logan standard springs are so long, H&R had to add a lot of redundant coils to their rear springs to make up for the height. I just cut two of them, I still have another 2 or 3 to cut if I want too :p
The shocks are a bad idea though: they are craptasticly bad. I'm hunting for a set of proper Bilstein B8s for my car at the moment.

Last edited:
  Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
So yeah, finally got around to buying a set of Bilstein B8 shocks. Fyeah!
What can I say, they are awesome! Considering the last couple of months I've been riding completely oil-less front shocks, the new ones feel almost completely stock. It's like I'm running a marshmallows, it's that fluffy... Well, not really, but you can understand how happy I am to have proper damping again :D Also, no more harsh under or oversteer, the handling is a lot more progressive.
Only downside is that they're seem to be keeping the suspension 1cm higher than before. I hope the suspensions settles back down though.
Any thoughts on this, will they go stiffer and lower after a run in?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Haha pretty mint :D

The last Dacia I saw was my mates mum's Dacia Duster back in the day, piece of s**te was that thing

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Oh yes, the old Duster and the Denem, making sure Dacia has no brand image whatsoever! The new Duster is a decent machine though.

Back to my car. As far as the turbo part of the thread goes, I'm hunting for parts as quickly as I can get my hands on the money. I've managed so find a very short Nissan Pulsar GTI-R stainless exhaust manifold that looks like it could be easily rewelded to a new flange to fit on my engine.

Later edit: For the intake manifold I've decided to start a new thread in the engine area of the forum here:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?603481-Volvo-engine-based-on-Renault-K4M-design&p=8074422#post8074422

If you can help me with my query please post on the thread above. This should make the information more public and easily available for other members.

I'm currently searching for a metal intake manifold for my K4M turbo project.
I've heard some guys say that the Volvo B4164S 1.6 from the first generation S40 might be based on the K4M. The S40 was based on Mitsubishi Charisma platform, but the Charisma used a totally different 1.6, one that has the exhause at the fron of the engine and intake at the rear (Mitsubishi 4G9)
My guess the 1.6 from Volvo is either their own design or it's something carried over from their earlier collaboration with Renault.

Does this look familiar to the K4M?
http://shop.avw-autoverwertung.de/motor-volvo-b4164s-8389-p-12571.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/volvo-s40-engine-2003-1-6L-petrol-B4164S2-/290608358333?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a99ba3bd
If it turns out that the head and engine block are the same, I could definitely use that aluminum intake manifold instead of the ridiculously long plastic piece on the K4M. Relocating the throttle body to the front of the engine would also help with managing the inter-cooler piping and keeping the TB far from the turbo.

Last edited:
  Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Here are some more recent pics of the car. Don't ask me why I as in the middle during a middle-of-nowhere BBQ last week and especially don't ask me how I got there :p
If you look closely, you can see my Subaru STI seats. Haven't put the finishing touches on the installation yet, I'll be back with better pics of the seats when I do.

308985_283182978377170_100000564111577_1129914_1192139325_n.jpg313532_283183385043796_100000564111577_1129919_1973717660_n.jpg

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
I know I haven't posted in some time and sadly I don't have any news regarding the turbo conversion. The service owner's Daewoo Nexia turbo conversion is in the finishing stages so my car should follow shortly!
I did manage to source some BMW E38 4-pot calipers that I intend to mount them up front on some 300mm Espace brake disks. This has already been done one VR6 swapped logan and seems to work like a charm :approve:
Winter is coming (;)) so I had to get some winter wheels and found some really cheap BBS Crosslace (BMW E30 wheels) wheels with no caps.
Rims:
Front: 15"x7" ET -24
Rear: 15"x7" ET -4 (20mm spacer)
Tires: 185/65 R15 BF Goodrich G-force Winter
12112011205.jpg12112011204.jpg

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Finally, the car is in the shop for engine work.
The guys at the shop managed to swap the internals today. I wasn't there when they put in the new pistons and rods but they promised fresh pictures first thing tomorrow :)
During this operation, we've taken all the measurements necessary to build the intake and exhaust manifolds. I'll run the engine with the new internals in N/A mode for a bit before adding turbo.
The turbo is a custo built using an Opel Insignia 2.0T case (I think). Judging from the ARs and Trims, it's something a bit larger than a GT28 but not quite a GT30. Should be good for well over 250 bhp.

2VVjXl.jpg

Oe3gCl.jpg

TRIndl.jpg

db7sil.jpg

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Also, more pictures of the car before it went in the shop.

p9lfZl.png

EVWqpl.png

DGSDol.png

FAUYtl.png

Before you ask, the red thing is a Dacia 1304, which is a 4 door pickup based on the Renault 12, powered by a Renault 1.9 diesel engine, running a basic 4x4 system. The bulge on the hood is because the 1.9 is too high. It was meant to be mounted transversely, but in the 1304 they mount it longitudinally and found out it was too big too late :p

SQ5
Awesome project!

Just quick advice you will want to run the engine in with the turbo so the piston rings can bed correctly.

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Is there anything wrong with running the engine in without the turbo?

Also, ze star of ze show:

Pv1ZMl.jpg

nlAf0l.jpg

SC8c8l.jpg

I went to see a Polish LHD Logan with a view to buying it but the guy wanted silly money for it and wouldn't budge so walked away. I will have one though and it will be F4R'd. I've even spoken to R-UK about parts and they can be sourced... Including the Romanian Police decal set :)
Parts arn't diffiuclt just order from Frannch etc dealers and get them to post or ebay etc

People want big money as they can seell for good prices abroard due to the exchange rate.

Renault needs to be flogged for not building the S2000 or at least an S1600!

They did do a rally and racing versions admitidly with stock engined realy you can buy all the bits sort off there was a kit to convert the road cars to racers.

They won't do 2.0 as its not the intended market.

I have no idea why Renault would not sell Dacias in the UK. Seems like a no-brainer really! Actually, there were spy pictures of a RHD prototype Logan, but no production model :(
And to answer your question, I'm not English, I just studied the language since primary school and watched a lot of Cartoon Network. I also get to use it daily at work, that helped loads too

Won't sell but the brand has a cheap image they will cover over in time but the exchange rate doens't help for profitable sales. They would do well if they sell them.

Flol! What a strange car.

If you were looking for a 4 door car would you really buy a Dacia anything?

Abroad they have a different image than the Uk market has of them.

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
I got that but I'm really curios why would the pistons not bed correctly if I'll be running them in without the turbo.

Speaking of pistons, here's a picture with the Iapels:
sLNwQl.jpg

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Since I'm waiting for some turbo specific parts and I'm not too keen to run around with the current compression, I decided to repair the body work, the entire right side had different colored panels and lots of small dents that gathered over the years.

dIG90l.png

RDGMLl.png

xj2RUl.png

The engine is up and running with the pistons and rods, I only got to drive it for a little bit. Drives pretty well with the lower compression, I would dare say at low and mid rpm (I won't rev it up yet) drives just like before. I'm currently in talks to buy a dBilas Flowtec intake manifold. The guys at dBilas said it can take 3 bars of pressure. In addition to that, it allows me to move the throttle body to front of the engine to one side, away from the turbo. It's this or full custom as my only options. The Flowtec is about 700E but should save me a lot of hassle.

Dbilas_k4x_k.JPG

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
I'm sticking with the same dark gray color. This and the fact that I'm not going to do any exterior mods will ensure the car won't stand out too much. This should minimize the number of times I get pulled over by the Police ;)

Renault Symbol
GREAT project!, congrats!!!!...What happened to Your ENKEI wheels????

Are You using the OEM Throttle Body with that inate system??

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Things haven't been going as fast as I would like them to. When I started this I though money would be an issue but it turns out documenting and part gathering is taking bucketloads of time.
So, since I've last posted I've bought:
1. Brakes: 300mm Scenic discs and Peugeot 406 V6 calipers (4 pistons) for the front and Clio 3 stubs, discs, calipers and ABS sensors for the rear. These should all be bolt-ons and as soon as I get the front camber bolts and rear camber plates, I'm going to put everything on the car.
2. Dbilas dynamics intake manifold.
3. TRW Performance exhaust manifold (in progress).
4. Siemens Deka Pico 620cc@3bar high impedance injectors (might be a bit overkill).
5. An Infinity Q45 MAF to be used with Megasquirt. I'm trying to get around the problems inherent with calculating and working with a VE (Volumentric Efficiency) table in Megasquirt. This MAF sensor will allow me to read the exact amount of air going into the engine without having to resort to a MAP+Air temp combo. I'll still use the MAP and Air temp for other adjustments but the main fuel map will be built with the MAF and a target AFR table.
6. Waiting for a 13 row oilcooler with a thermostat, should arrive soon by mail.
7. Waiting for a Walbro 255 lph fuel pump.

I've also been going through a lot of theory about turbocharging and I decided to scrap the Opel unit I was using. It was a modified unit and with the new internals it was almost as big as a GT30, way too much for a street driven machine. I'm now looking into a GT25 or a GT28RS. The target is 300hp but I'm don't want lag and lack of low end torque, I want something as smooth as possible.

Another isssue I'm tackling si the problem of how to wire the ignition with Megasquirt as it only has one ignition channel by default. I'm looking into different options, maybe even keeping the standard K4M coil-on plugs and controlling all of them with MS. Plenty of options here, I just need to find the best way to do this.

The most important problem is the gearbox. I don't think the JH3-057 I have at the moment will take the 300hp I'm going for. I've got friends with access to Dialogys and it seems that the Clio 2 RS 215mm clutch will fit the K4M flywheel. I think there are people around here who've done this already. This might be enough to avoid clutch slip (the standard K4M/JH3 clutch is notorious for being s**tty) but on the long run I'm almost sure I'll blow the gearbox.
I have the following options:
a. JR5: should be a good deal stronger, it's used in 1.5DCIs with about 250nm of torque. Also found on Kangoos and Logan MCVs with the K4M so I should be able to source one with better suited gears for a gasoline engine. Not much aftermarket support apart from a nice clutch kit from Sachs that should take 350nm.
b. JC5: the casing should be strong enough to handle 300nm of torque, I've seen this fitted to 1.9 diesels. Also has good aftermarket support with clutch kits and LSDs. Only thing is, I don't know if it will bolt on the K4M... Anyone know?

Lastly, here's a more recent pic of the car.
DSC_0232.JPG

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
I just realized I haven't posted here in a loong time :(
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to put the turbo on yet but I did get a chance to do other things.

I upgraded the brakes:
Front: 280mm Megane 2 discs and Peugeot 406 V6 Brembo calipers and braided brake lines . These were almost bolt on, only required some 3mm spacers (washers) for the caliper bolts to center the caliper on the disc. As regular Clio 2s have the same brakes as the Logan, I guess this upgrade would be easily doable for them too :)
Rear: Clio 3 rear stub axles, 240mm discs and calipers.
I still have to get the ABS sorted by getting new front bearings with 48 poles ABS rings to match the Clio 3 rear ones. The original brakes had 44 poles and I was told I could change these with the Canclip interface. Hope it works...

vrxfKl.jpg

ChfbEl.jpg

Now for engine things have been going really slow. I did manage to install the dBilas intake and a HKS filter and I'm now in the process of designing the exhaust manifold and downpipe. The turbo will be something in the lines of the GT2259 or GT2860R but will most likely be a custom housed turbo as packaging concerns will probably be more important here. I have to mention I have a sponsor for the turbo, a company that deals with turbo sales. They basically said: "here's our warehouse, choose whatever you want". Lucky break, huh? The ones is a good friend of mine who has a thing for weird cars. He has a Daewoo Cielo (Nexia) with the 8v 1.5L engine bored to 1.6, forged pistons and rods and a small but newer gen turbo on it, good for about 200hp with plenty of low-down torque.

WB7pfl.jpg

Other things:
I've finished installing the amp, subwoofer and rear battery housing. I'm using a GZ Hydrogen 5125XII amp, SPL Dynamics speakers and a Focal woofer in a custom sealed inclosure. I'll soon have a Car PC ready, basically a Widows 7 mini laptop connected to an in-dash touchscreen LCD. I'm going for this route so I can have the computer connected to the Megasquirt ECU at all times for diagnosis, logs and on the fly changes to the injection and timing maps :D
Final cabling is not done yet, haven't got a chance to properly mount the amp yet...

0QIDLl.jpg

Finally, here are a couple of more photos of the beast, I'm the bearded fellow pretending to be cool:

TkCl7l.jpg

vLDZxl.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Not quite that far.

More like the JDM fanboys go, harness, half cage, reclining buckets, quick release steering wheel, the usual crap.

Although I think it could really work.

That said the logan cup car is win!

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
@rhysbartley: You're speaking my language :))
That said, I just bought a Momo steering yesterday, looks like the one on the Logan Cup. I'm looking into a quick release, anyone know where I could find a Clio 2 compatible one, the steering shaft and socket are the same as the Logan's.
Since the car is too rigid to have anyone ride in the back, a rollcage is definitely a possibility, although I'm waiting to see how it copes with the power first. I mean I would love to have a rollcage, but I wouldn't add that much weight to the car without a sound reason to do it...

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
You speak/type better English than me.

Keep up the good work.

I also think you need to shave.

Dacia Logan 1.4 LPG
Hi, Valentin.
Hope you recognise me from the Logan Forum back in Ro. Your thread here is quite a tad more interesting from the one i used to know.
wanted to ask you if your calipers will fit under 15" alloy wheels, as i'm quite interested in more braking power.

For you guys here, i already have Dacia Van front calipers. These are quite the same to Fiat Brava 1.8 calipers, and fit 260mm vented disc (as in Clio 3). However, a frind of mine and Valetin's is trying to fit Pug 307 calipers and 280mm Megane mk2 front discs.

I also joined just to get rid of questins like: "when will you tint your windows", or "throw some h4 xenon, it will look super". You guys here seem to care of real mods to your cars, and i think we have a common goal.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
any news with the turbo?
I'm surprised I haven't seen you around since we live in the same city ;)
nice effort with the mods, keep it up!