ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! Laptop Problem! system32\hal.dll missing

1 Series Coupe
As above.. i boot my laptop and get this message:

'Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Winnt_root\System32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.'

Anybody had this problem? Can anyone help?

Cheers for help in advance

Matt

Last edited:
  MK1 Clio 16v
Best thing to do is try a repair install of Windows XP (presuming that's what you have got installed).

That should hopefully bring it back to life.

Sounds like the file system could have become corrupted, hence it not being able to find files.

185lb/ft dCi
Boot from your xp disc and select 'Recovery Console' Then just use the COPY command to copy that file from the disc to that directory. If your unsure of how to use the commands just type 'help' and it will give you a list of them.

Lotus Elise 111R
Sorry to spread my bad news but I had this exact problem, re booted windows xp from the recovery discs as per above ^^^ several times but it kept recurring.....killed the laptop in the end....

1 Series Coupe
the thing is i have replaced the hard drive and everything, and it is still doing it!! its annoying me now!

Lotus Elise 111R
I replaced my drive too... turned out to be something that my mate told me was not worth replacing as new laptops are so cheap and it was 2 yrs old!!! Can't remember what is was tho sorry....he did loads of tests but not specific answers to the fault sadly....

PS - the reboot works for a couple of days, then you boot it up one day, and back it goes...got sick of loading all my bits back on every few days...