ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help :(..Limp mode

120d M Sport
Recently my 2004 1.2 16v has gone into "limp" mode, where it will not rev past 3000rpm in gear. Both the electrical fault and engine management lights are lit up on the dash

It's an absolute nightmare of a problem, which has been happening intermittently over the last 6 months. Originally it was put on a diagnostics when the problem first occured, which showed the fault up to be the throttle body.

The throttle body was susbequently cleaned and the dash lights were reset. The car was ok for a while but this problem has been occuring every so often since, now it seems permanently in this limp mode.

I'm at a loss as to what needs doing? It's been suggested that the coilpack needs replacing, however as the problem is intermittent, and the car isn't actually misfiring I cant be sure this is the problem...

Its also been suggested to me that NGK spark plugs which the car currently run's dont go to well with the 1.2 16v engine...not sure how true this is?

The only thing I have noticed is a slight sucking/induction noise when revving the car with the bonnet open, which I havent noticed before?

Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Alex

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Mine does this occasionally. There are a load of things that can cause the car to go into limp mode so unfortunately its a bit of a mine field.

All you can do is get it plugged into the diagnostics and see if there are any fault codes. If someone near you has an RS tuner, these can look for the said codes on your ECU i think (I know they can for the RS's but dont know if they work with the 1.2 clios)

120d M Sport
^ Cheers Luke, as you say its a bit of a mine field, there are a number of things that could be causing it.

As I said it's been on a diagnostic before which highlighted the throttle body, which was replaced but not cured the problem long term. :(

I'm wondering whether its one of the sensor's i.e. O2 sensor?

clio 172
check the cam sensor under neath the air box may be a loose wire or or the connecter might be fucked if it is that buy genuien renault parts as iv bin told the other 1s are shite. hope this helps

120d M Sport
check the cam sensor under neath the air box may be a loose wire or or the connecter might be f**ked if it is that buy genuien renault parts as iv bin told the other 1s are s**te. hope this helps

Mate of mine suggested that, said he has seen it cause cars go into limp mode quite often. Cheers :)

alex mine did something similar to this.. turned out it needed new throttle bodies as far as i remember.. if this helps

I've already had work done on the throttle body :(

120d M Sport
Lol, I solved this problem and have since sold the car.

I got hold of a code reader and cleared all fault codes, it still carried on for a while after. I changed to new OEM spark plugs, and as a last resort I kept away from the Supermarket fuel stations where I always used to fill up! It soon went away then.