ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me buy a Clio 1*2......

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a 1*2 Clio hence joining here. I have read loads to try and understand all the options and what I should be looking for but to be honest, the more I read (incl. the guides here), the more confused I am getting :coffee:

I have noticed that there are some real experts on here, both traders and enthusiasts, who know their stuff an maybe can help :hail:

As with every new buyer, I am looking to get the most for money but I understand that this is a balance between not just age and mileage but also how well looked after the car has been, what has been done to it recently and by who.

As you notice, I am referring to a 1*2 as my budget of £2k to £2.5k sits in the middle i.e. better/best 172 or mid/better 182.

Ultimately, I would prefer the 182 for its twin exhaust pipes. I think it makes it look different to the normal Clio which the 172 does not have but at the end of the day, I will be looking out the windscreen so I am willing to compromise in order to get a better car.

The car will be used as a daily runner but I would like something that could be used for some track days so needs to have all seats, fly through MOTs but also be semi-capable on a track.

If it means I can get a better spec, mechanically superior car but compromise on a few parking dents or bumper scuffs then that is fine. The mechanics/suspension are most important and would prefer a car with as low a mileage as possible but defo less than 100k.

There are a fair few cars that have been modified in some way but I am not sure:
a) Which are the essential mods I should look for ?
b) How I can asses which parts/fitters are better than others ?

One thing I don't want though is a silver car :dead:.
I have had a few and now find them boring and bland. Most other colours are fine with me including yellows and reds. I won't rule black out but if I can avoid it I will as I always find it a PITA to keep shiny and avoid watermarks when washing :S

So, over to you guys......
What do you think I should be looking for in terms of age, mileage, spec and mods etc. for my budget of £2k to £2.5k
Any common issues with certain mods, either the parts or their fitting ?
How badly will mods affect my insurance ?
Any good cars you can point me to, either for sale or as good examples of what I should get ?

Thanks in advance for all your help guys :approve:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
With your budget & not wanting a silver 182 you are left with a +75k Arctic blue or BG 182-

Essential mods- exhaust replaced as they fall to bits.
Steering wheel refurbed.
Cambelt changed- interval is 5 years.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I would wait & get to 3k for a nice one ( although 3.5-4k is really where its at for a very good 182 )

or spend 2k on a mint 172 in say red or monaco blue & use the rest for par.

The minimum price really for a Ph 1 172 or a Ph 2 172 to get to a great standard is 3k ( includes buying + repairs + cosmetics )

S

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't want to wait for more money as to be honest, I already own three cars but looking for something small and fun. The only way I can justfy a fourth car to myself is to keep it cheap :D

It looks like a 172 is the way to go.

I guess a mint Ph2 172 is towards £3k.
What is the price range for a Ph1 172 ?

In addition to the cambelt, what is the timing of the dephaser ?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
There arent any Mint phase 1's im afriad- what there are - are Ph1's all at varying degrees of falling apart- its how much you want to spend to get it mint V how many miles on the clock-
on average a PH1 will sell for 1000- thats around 80-100k, then mid 1's for something in the 70-80 mix, with high 1's on lower miles-
You will need the rest up to 3k if you want it MINT. -

Heres the usual PH1 list - of which some if not all will need doing on them
Cambelt kit + Dephaser - £500-600
Steering wheel refurb - £ 100-150
paint £ any
Wheel refurb £150
tyres £Choice
Suspension refresh- £ up to 750- typically a few hundred

Other bits usually missing- Keys / Service / Brakes / -

the list is endless-

S

Nimbus Clio 197
You can still find a cracking 182 for between £2500 and £3,000 if you look hard enough. Mine was £2600 and is a beaut with brilliant service history, belts done, and great bodywork.

172 cup 520d m sport
I know not sure I like it lol. Might just keep the one car as iv gone to a fixed contract at work rather than a flexi. It's a bit to raw for me tbh

172 track car
£2.5k would buy my bg182, 85k miles, belts changed around 50k, rs192 exhaust, wheels refurbed in anthracite, really clean interior and steering wheel. Haven't advertised it yet but see this so thought I'd throw it out there.