ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me out, I rarely use a phone etc, but want an upgrade..

Hi all,
Can anyone suggest what I should do ? I have a Samsung Galaxy something that's about six years old, I'm on a sim only o2 plan for £15 a month, I can't remember what I get with that though, just that back then I think it was a silver tariff.

I don't want a phone for much, just for the camera for taking pics for ebay & texting etc, I'm pretty oldskool etc and don't use snapchat or whatsapp etc, I rarely use it for the internet too, nor do I listen to music on it, or have a phone in my hand all the time.

So, do I just buy another cheap smartphone for say £150 / £200 new (and if so what? I don't want a massive phone!) and get a get a proper data plan from o2 ?
Or buy an iphone se ? with the data plan ? (if I got a better phone I'd use it for some internet) I have an ipod lol, ipad & macbook + pc etc so I use those indoors.

I don't think I want a contract at £40 a month etc.

Ps, I know there is a 'what phone thread' but I'm useless & this might go on a bit!
Thanks,

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Could pick up a Sony z3 compact cheap enough. On o2 they do their contracts so you pay for the phone and plan. Once the phone is paid off, you just pay for your data etc.
Think you can get a z3 for 20 odd per month. More than capable camera, easy to use and a nice size.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I never used to like apple phones but wouldn't have anything else now. I have a 5s which I find brilliant.

Cheers all, anymore opinions welcome.
Would I be mad to buy the SE outright ?

Scrooge, just random stuff mate, mainly when I have a clear out etc. I tend to find it easier just to use my phone.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cheers all, anymore opinions welcome.
Would I be mad to buy the SE outright ?

Scrooge, just random stuff mate, mainly when I have a clear out etc.
No. Bought the se for Mrs India, more than happy with it.

Despite not liking the Apple operating system myself, can't argue that the actual handset quality is brilliant and will last (as long as you get a case for it.)

182 FF
There's plenty of good Android phones out there for under £200. I'd say to take a look at the Moto G (3rd or 4th gen) or the Moto E (smaller and cheaper). There's also quite a few very capable Chinese brands in that budget but they tend to be on the larger side.

With the amount of cheap one month rolling SIM only deals available there's no way I'd go back to the days of 24 months contracts.

No. Bought the se for Mrs India, more than happy with it.

Despite not liking the Apple operating system myself, can't argue that the actual handset quality is brilliant and will last (as long as you get a case for it.)
Cheers fella, yeah a case is a must. I look after my things, but I know full well I'll drop the f*cker within a week!

There's plenty of good Android phones out there for under £200. I'd say to take a look at the Moto G (3rd or 4th gen) or the Moto E (smaller and cheaper). There's also quite a few very capable Chinese brands in that budget but they tend to be on the larger side.

With the amount of cheap one month rolling SIM only deals available there's no way I'd go back to the days of 24 months contracts.
Cheers, I was looking at Moto G's earlier, those & Samsung J3's & 5's.

Yeah I doubt I'll get a contract etc (been there, done that years ago) so it makes sense for me to sort my data plan out. There is an o2 shop local to work too.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Bought the GF an iPhone SE when they came out this year. It's a nice phone, but after having an iPhone 5S for the past 3 years I'd fancy a bigger screen for my next phone. Perfect for her diddy hands though.

Also bought my Dad a Motorola Moto G4 (4th generation, not the 4G which is a lower model). About £150 from John Lewis and when I turned it on, I did question why I spend so much on iPhones etc. Lovely screen, very quick interface and vanilla Android (from what I could tell).

If you just want a cheap phone you won't do much better than one of those from what I've been told.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I got a very good deal using Mobiles.co.uk on o2. It was on an iPhone 6s but was a far better deal than even o2 direct could offer.

A quick look for the SE shows a free phone with 3gb data unlimited calls and texts for £26.50 per month.

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/apple-iphone-se.html?phoneFilter[tariff_network][]=o2

That's very good if you actually make a lot of calls, but I think quite a few providers give unlimited calls/texts these days as a selling point.

Assuming that's for the 16GB iPhone then you're paying just over £11 a month for the SIM, which is pretty easy to match/beat on 12 month SIM only contracts (not the unlimited calls mind you).

Kawasaki ER6N
That's very good if you actually make a lot of calls, but I think quite a few providers give unlimited calls/texts these days as a selling point.

Assuming that's for the 16GB iPhone then you're paying just over £11 a month for the SIM, which is pretty easy to match/beat on 12 month SIM only contracts (not the unlimited calls mind you).
That was just what I found quickly and it was for the 64gb not the 16gb.
SE.jpg

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Android wise my mum has a 3rd gen Moto G and it's good... I like it, but it's slowed down a lot over 18 months and the battery is already losing significant capacity.

OnePlus 3?

RB Clio 182
Im the same as you mate, old school and not into phones/tech, but i saw a deal on an iphone 5s with ee, £14.99 a month with unlimited txs, 500 minutes and 1gb of data, i know the data isnt a lot but i only really use internet at home so i use wifi.

I was topping up a shitty phone a tenner a month so for an extra 4.99 a month im getting more minutes/txs/data while buying the phone in the process.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you don't really use the phone much why are you looking at a premium smartphone??
You either want a proper smartphone, which comes at a cost or you want a budget phone on a budget SIM (£5/month type job) ???