ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help ME! Speaker problems!!

RS Clio 182

Can anyone help me with my speaker problem? I have an Alpine 7494RB HU and have just bought myself 55w rms Infinity 52.5i speakers for £70. The sound quality is ok when quietish but when turned up reasonably loud, they really distort badly. Is my HU too powerful for the speakers? Thought they would be reasonably good speaker to cope without an amp??

no its just your stereo cant produce the power the speakers require.

so the signal your head unit is sending is actually distorted. think of two lines one above below the wave signal...when you turn the volume up to much and the wave expands and reaches these lines(limits) the signal clips and so gives a distorted sound...to get the best out your speakers you will need an amp

remember your head unit is 4x60w...ie more like 4x30rms

i think thats correct, prob gonna get shot down though:)

'18 Megane dci

Sounds familiar, I have a sony HU 4x50w powering some Alpine SPR134As (35w rms), I get exactly the same result when the volume is turned up (not so bad with DBass turned down a bit).

Also does anyone have experience of getting new front door speaker wire into the car of a 2002 clio? The existing hard plastic gromit attached to the car seems to have been designed as one hole per wire with none spare for extra wires?

RS Clio 182

Have u got round this problem yet Dave? Dont know if I should be investing in a good amp to solve my problems. Thought the amp on the stereo was reasonable enough to cope?

'18 Megane dci

Me too mate, and I though 4x50w was pretty reasonable (not rms I presume). These Alpine speakers I have are only 5" so im not really expecting mega bass, but turning down the bass does help a lot, in fact its rather loud! Only got the rear speakers fully wired to the HU so far as I cant get the front door speaker wire through this damn gromit yet, got it through the flexi rubber one just not the next hard one attached to the car body, my only option, which I am not doing, is to use the renault wires.

Im not bothering doing that because the wire that reaches the old speakers has travelled through a passive crossover under the dash tweeters which I am assuming only sends low frequency sound to the renault speakers that were in the doors, rear only for now until I sort this damn gromit.

Amp wise I would go for one, shame to waste good speakers with low power from the radio, make it a fairly decent 4 channel amp or else it would only defeat the object having good speakers and HU with a cheapo amp.

Have fun 8)

Amping Speakers makes them sound ten times better i sold my mate my old Cerwin Vega Components the opther day he doesnt have them amped they sound terrible.:p

I have a good 4 channel amp for sale if your interested its brand new and a bargain PM me if your interested.

'18 Megane dci

What power of 4 channel amp would anyone suggest for 2 pairs of Alpine SPR 134As, they are 35w RMS and 140w peak? And should I stick to an Alpine amp?

How about the Ground Zero GZRA 4100 amp. Its a 4 channel pushing out 4x45watts RMS. That will run 2 pairs of those speakers nicely. Somebody (sorry i dont remember who you were) had a ground zero amp running some components and is very pleased with it.

We had a demo stand a few months back with one of those amps running 3 different sets of speakers on a normal switching mechanism. All 3 sets sounded mint on it...definately highly recommended if you are on a budget.

Oh..and it comes out at £115. You would be struggling to get a dodgy XS one in that price range.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio