ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed.....182 Cup

Peddled device
Picked it up tonight.I noticed that after about five minutes of driving the temp gauge had not moved.Got onto the motorway and it suddenly went to half way which is normal.Now the worse part.....I saw the gauge had dropped to zero and then the engine felt like there was no power when the throttle was pressed (l was doing 70mph at this time).It seemed to be popping a bit so l pulled off the m-way.When l stopped the engine was ticking over at 2000rpm so l turned it off and left it for about 30seconds.It wouldn't start after this so left it for a few more minutes and then it started.Everything seemed to be ok until l got caught in the traffic on the M60....then the gauge dropped again and as l was at a standstill the revs went back up to about 2000rpm :(
As you can guess l'm not happy.When l picked it up it looked fantastic and it drives great but this seems like a nasty problem.My questions are;
1) What is causing this? (loose ECU connector maybe)
2) As the car is under warranty should l just take it to Reno?
3) Why did l know that something would go wrong?!

Cheers...and stop laughing at the back!

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Never had this problem although just before I had my car serviced it was lacking power!

I would take it to Renault mate and get them to hook it up to the diagnostic machine so they can sort it!

Sorry to hear the car aint being normal for you as they are cracking cars!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's the temperature sensor.

My Mate's 182 has had 4 of them replaced, all under warranty.

It packs up, so the ECU think's the engine's cold, so it the overfuels to compensate. See if there are any sooty deposits around the tailpipe exits...if there are that's probably your problem.

Peddled device
That sounds about right....cheers for that.I got the car from Motorpoint as they did the best part-ex deal and the car is a minter...9100 on the clock and not a mark on it :)
It only came with one key though and they are sending me a manual.....what are the buttons on the steering wheel and how do you use them? Also,what about the switches on the lower right of the dash?

You see,this is what happens when you buy a car with a load of gadgets..... :)

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
The controls to the right are the cruise control switch and speed limit switch. Can't remember what others do without looking!

Controls on the steering wheel control speed when cruise control is on (+/-). The other button turns off the cruise control, I will have a look for you tomorrow as I can't remember lol.

tiTTy & SV650
buttons on the wheel are cruise control controls, the switches bottom right are closest to u to turn ESP off and back on, its on as standard, the one nearest the door is the cruise control and speed limiter on off switch.

R is to resume the speed you set on the cruise control.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Oh yeah, Trev is right, the other button switches off the traction control (its always on by default everytime you start the car).

106 GTi
Sounds like the faulty temp sensor, common problem - ECU thinks its always cold, early rev limiter, over fueling etc.

Edit - dont get distracted mid post lol any miss all the above!

Peddled device
172 Cup was ok....just the usual 'knocking' noise and a power steering pump pipe.
Have to call Motorpoint at 9 and sort it out.I'll let them do the donkey work.

Same thing happened with my 182.

I took it back to the dealers (who surprise surprise couldn't replicate the fault) but since they had it, its never done it again - strange that..!!!

Lee

BMW M2C
Tyson-182 said:
Sorry to hear about this mate. Take it back to them and complain!

Tyson.

You can't with a car from Motorpoint, they sell them so cheap because you have no comeback. They'll just tell you to get it down your local Renault Dealer who will sort it under warranty.

I had this on the Trophy. It went in 6 times before it was finally sorted.

On early 182s there was a bad batch of sensors, also there was a problem with the way in which the loom was fitted. There's a technical note on the system which explains which way they should reroute the loom.

Mine had a new sensor, which went wrong straight away, then they rewired it and replaced it again...this went on a few times. On my final visit they replaced the sensor, connector and loom.

Nippy white cup
My temp gauge goes up as normal but when up to temp it drops lower as the revs increase (up near the limiter the temp drops almost right down). When the car was running spot on it used to pull strong to the limiter with no obvious strain...now tho it slows quite at the higher revs. Could this be because of the temp drop?

Chris

Cam

182 Cup
Had the same problem, its the engine temp sensor (as said before). It was in 5 times before they got annoyed with me and changed the whole lot.

182 Cup, (2nd one)
Temp guage problem also happened on mine. The temperature dropped to the bottom then the engine revved to 2000rpm on its own, flooded and stalled all in the middle of a junction.
Although it is a known fault, Renault UK and the dealers wanted the car in
for a few days to diagnose the fault as its intermittent but i refused to leave it at the dealers.
I agreed to take the car for a test drive with the mechanic to demonstrate the fault (as its intermittent, it probably wouldn't have happened when he was in the car anyway). Once outside i had a chat with the mechanic mentioned the fault was on ACTIS described the symptoms and he agreed the work needed doing without a test drive and got the parts ordered. He was a good bloke who listened to the faults plus i shown him info off the forums and a video taken on my mobile phone of the fault.

Hope that will help you
Charlotte

Peddled device
Yeah...l'm booking it in at Reno Manchester now.....they were pretty good with my 172.
Fingers crossed...

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Mention that its on ACTIS when it goes in. If you use your renault assistance card get it towed to the garage and say its undriveable. That will get it sorted in super quick time.

Worked for me anyway! Got a courtesy car as well!