ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed on a big decision.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Most of you will know that my cup has been wrote off and that i have bought it back from the insurance company for a small amount. The damage is light but has exceded the cars value to be fixed by a garage.

At first i wanted to break the car and get as much money as poss and buy a mint 106 gti, but now i'm thinking of repairing the car if it can be done cheap enough?

What are your thoughts on th repair costs or am i wasting money? i really carn't decide on what to do!

Pics of the damage
S7001961.gif

S7001960.gif

S7001959.gif

I can get hold of a rear axel for £170 + VAT. It would neede a new front bumper, and a respray on the rear quarter and being filled if thats what they do??

Thoughts please, Kev.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
You're looking at a £1k plus bill from the bodyshop even if thats just filler.

That needs a quarter id say.

Prob not worth it then is it?

It will be worth less if it gets repaired too as it's was a cat c anyway!

Would you break the car or sell it whole? then buy a gti lol.

rps13
I fitted a rear axle to a 1.2 16v in an 2 hours, paid £40 for it at a local breakers yard.

Then the car's up and running and you'd get £1500 plus on pistonheads?

anyone know the cost of a rear Q panel and spray?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
Such a dilemma this, i could buy a ph1 172 and use some parts on that to get it looking minty like the bumper ect...

Or just go a diffrent direction and buy a 106 gti or else.........

106 GTI
sell the car as it is or break for parts

As nice as the car is its not worth fixing if its already a cat c/d

Racing Blue 182 Cup
buy another 172 cup and put your bits on it then sell the spares. profit++
being honest you probably werent going to change cars until it got smashed up?

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
£568 mate.

Good price really as the mod's on it will come to that alone before breaking it!

Bargin that! If you repair it you could track it i supose, if you wanted to keep it for ages it would be worth repairing but if you wanted to sell it i doubt its worth the hassle.

Ask about for someone who could repair it cheap, my mate had some decent contacts when he wrote off his 05 ctr and got it fixed for a stupid price

Id break it TBH, you'd easily double the £568 what it cost to buy back. Then put that towards your insurance money and buy a clean 182 or a mint 106

Just my opinion tho

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Got any friends in a bodyshop or that? I replaced my rear quarter in a weekend for nowt ;) It definitely needs a quarter though, and I wouldn't skimp on cost, it's quite a big job.

I would probably break. £300 for the 3 turinis at least, £600 or so for the engine, £150 for the spoiler, £100 for the sideskirts, the list goes on. You'll make your money back and more no bother.

Monaco RS Clio 172
buy another cup, use the bits, break the rest and profit?

alternatively even if you fix it you will have money left mate

and while it is already cat c who cares if you keep it for a long while.. bare in mind cups are only worth circa 3.5k these days so you won't lose a big deal anyway vs. normal depreciation these days

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
I'm going to look at a sundance yellow 106 gti after work today, std apart from manifold, ff exhaust, ecosse filter and lowered. Basically the same as the one i looked at on weekend lol.

Car has 100k tho.

audi a6 3.0tdi
Do what i did and buy it back sell all the crap bits like interior, engine covers and other bits that people want. And keep the engine, gear box and running gear and buy another cheap one with the insurance money. That way you have lots of spares if the cheap one goes wrong.

Ian

Focus TDCi
You been selling me crap then Chris? :p I'd keep it.. too many RS are going to the breakers these days!

audi a6 3.0tdi
You been selling me crap then Chris? :p I'd keep it.. too many RS are going to the breakers these days!
You know i wouldn't do that. I meant it as sell anything that is easy to get hold of, its not easy to know that engines and gearboxes are good especially if you know you have just had the cambelt and service done on it. Interiors, wheels and panels come up all the time.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Yeah I was only playing mate, knew what you meant.. only had two hours sleep in the last two days so not quite expressing myself properly! :)

Clio 1.2 16v
its more of a question; do you want a clio or a 106?

if you want the 106 break it, spend the money on a pug
if you want the clio, break this one, save some of the mods and buy a new 182

hope it works out ok for you mate :)

E92 M3
i would take all your mods off just buy the same car and put your mods back on

then its like the crash never happened

fad

Clio 182 FF
Break it makes more financial sense buy a minter, imagine spending all that money and the car doesnt drive right? Dont take the risk cut your losses sell the bits off and put more money towards a better car

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Sell the shell and engine etc to me :D

Tbh mate, only get someone to paint it if they can get a spot on colour match..which usually costs alot. If you get the paint done cheaply you'll notice the difference in colour. Try not to use filler too much so buying a new rear quarter would be best. You could probably bodge the front bumper to save costs too if you want.

Has that wheel not been buckled?