ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help, next car?

Renault Clio 1.2
im 18 nearlly near my first years no claims, but not getting a new car until my 2 years are up, perhaps sooner if i can afford to, i dno yet..
anyway. ive had my eyes on getting a 197 for a long time now but at the same time the idea of getting a trophy is starting to take over. i wouldnt mind a standard 182 either cus i know there would be alot of oppurtunity to add s**t to it performance wise. any ideas guys?
as far as i know i definatley want a clio sport next and insurance may affect this, obviously not after 2 years ncb but what one?
dave

09 GIXXER 750!!!
The 182 is a awesome car. Quick and sticks to the road like glue. make sure you get both cup packs. But at 19 even with 2 yrs NCB you gonnna be pauing a small fortune for the insurance!!!

Renault Clio 1.2
ye but its worth it, i want a nice car tbf and love clio's.now im working full time about 80 percent of my earnings is going into savings for the car and insurace so shud be sorted financially. what do both cup packs give you then? p.s. im not used to the detail shiz when it comes to RS clios.

BMW F21 125d
I've owned a 172 and a 182, and perfomance wise there isnt alot in it, but handling a cupped 182 is far superior.

Theirs two cup packs on the 182 - Spoiler pack which gives you larger rear spoiler and a front splitter and the Suspension pack, which is slightly lower/stiffer suspension and anthracite alloys (sp) and wider tyres.

09 GIXXER 750!!!
ye but its worth it, i want a nice car tbf and love clio's.now im working full time about 80 percent of my earnings is going into savings for the car and insurace so shud be sorted financially. what do both cup packs give you then? p.s. im not used to the detail shiz when it comes to RS clios.

Worth every penny. I had a brand new 172 in 2001 and loved it until some f**ker who was drunk crashed into it outside my house and had no insurance. I then had a 182 in 2004 but it didnt have the cup packs. Sold that one as I went travelling. I now have a 2005 182 fully cupped!! Love it handles like its on rails!! If you can afford it you wont be sorry you got yourself one!! Ps dont get a chavy saxo..or a 106gti they dont compare to the CS!! IMO

Other than wear and tear they have never given me any probs either!

Imo paying out well into four figures to insure a 172/182 isn't worth it at all. I waited till I was 21 to get a fast-ish car. Insurance was reasonable, if i'd have done it at 18/19 i'd have been skinted each month.

Renault Clio 1.2
sounds gd, and im not paying it monthly mate, annually when i do. its just something i can look forward too, improve my current driving towards and motivate me really. im not someone that wrecks cars but i would love a 182 to f**k about with performance wise and get as much bhp out of it as possible but not drive it to make me die lol. i know my limits but at the same time i like fun. anyone have any experience with trophys and 182's

BMW F21 125d
To get alot more Bhp from a 182, can mean Big Expense, you have to remember that the RS Engine is highly tuned already. Usual mods will see small gains, but without spending alot you'll struggle to get past 200bhp.

Renault Clio 1.2
na mate as i say im only 18 at the moment i know for a fact that im going to HAVE to wait until 2 years ncb. so jst gna keep driving the boring 1.2 clio round for a bit but hey.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
erm, I dont think you'll need performance mods given that your only young and you'll be coming from a 1.2, insurance WILL be stupid though for you, its stupid for me on my 197 and I'm 22...

Renault Clio 1.2
yeye true mate. my mate on here went from a 1.2 to a 172 and found it amazing. if i were to buy a 172 it would have to be in monaco blue. otherwise i wouldnt bother.

J03

MX5 1.8
monaco blue or black! or you could go with a PH1 172 mate, there cheap as anything now, and they are starting to grow on me some on here looks the nuts!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think you should do some homework on the Renault Sports mate

I think i speak for all of us when we say we have our prefrences on whats "nice" and whats not. People on here are more critical than your mother with your girlfriend so take it with a pinch of salt.

Also as far as performance goes id say that if you were to put all the Renault Sport Clios (all standard & bar the V6's ofcourse) on a Runway and went hell for leather, you would be luckly if there was as much as a car lengths gap between them.

On paper the Clio 172 Cup may be quickest (6.7 to 60) but lets face it a Phase 2 Clio 172 which supposedly does 0-60 in 7.0 flat, thats not a snap of the fingers tbh

Renault Clio 1.2
ye true cant wait, that difference is gna be mad, gna have to take it very easy for the first few months.
are the seats in 172's/182's nice as standard or definatley worth changing?

Evo 6, E92 320d
I had a 1.2, then moved to a 1.6 when i was 19(still have it now) purely because it looked a bit better, went a bit quicker but didn't cost an arm to insure. If you are looking for something a little faster go for a 1.6 and get a 1*2 when it comes in at £1k or less to insure(my own opinion of course).
Also as said to see any kind of worthwhile gain on an RS will cost you, but if you've got the cash its up to you.

320d
I have been thinking the same thing as you mate, my ncb comes around next august i'll be 19 and a car change is a cert. There are several avenues i'm looking to explore - 1*2 if insurance isnt stupid, looking into 106 Gti/ Saxo VTS although reliability and image are a deciding factor. Mini cooper s (cheaper to insure that 1*2's but lots more to buy).

Tbh if i don't get a 1*2 then i'm going to be getting something that i won't lose too much cash on with a view to getting the 1*2 the year after.

The vts/gti route is tempting if i can find one with <60k with fsh and relitavely standard then i'd go for it.

182 Trophy
wouldnt bother with a 106 to be honest mate, iv'e had 3 a 1.1 a quicksilver and a phase 1 rallye with lots of mods (too many to list) which ate 106 gti's and pulled a 15.1 at santa pod which i know aint blistering but not bad for an old 106.
iv finally realised it aint just about the speed, which is why im selling my mini cooper for a 172 because its got best of both worlds.
you pull up in a cliosport and you could have any sum of money, pull up in a 106/saxo and people generaly think, skint chav with part time job.
thats just from my own experience anyway.
:) clio ftw.

320d
I understand your point mate but sometimes its about more than image if you enjoy driving then the gti/vts are both good drivers cars.

Although it would be like going back a century. If i can't afford 172 insurance it is an option I would consider. Although maybe a stipped 1.6 16v clio or something. Mind you mini cooper s's are a fair bit cheaper to insure that 1*2s if they havnt got the chilli pack.

MCS R56
If you are not buying the car for over 14 months then is there not a good chance you will want something else by then? I must have changed my mind about 5 times leading up to the purchase of my Cup.

However, it sounds like you will be doing some serious saving so I'm sure the rewards will be worth it. Don't buy the Clio for straight line performance, it's not about that.

With regards to the 106 comments, they are not chav cars! They are great cars until someone puts a set of Lexus lights on them. Why are people so bothered about what other people think?

mmm i wouldnt go for the 1.6 imo, i have a 1.2 and drove my friends 1.6 rsi the other day, it was fast but i think you would get bored pretty quickly

you considered something other than a clio? or 106?

mk4 golf gttdi180
i think a good stop gap car is a 106 gti very good car a nd good insurance + you ca still save up for the cup or trophy yet still be a fast car against others

Renault Clio 1.2
would never buy a 106 ever, just my taste, and considering i'm saving hard its pointless for me to go for anythin under a 2.0, which for sport, style and performance the RS clio's are a real good buy for me.

320d
There are plently of good cars under 2.0 mate. A mini cooper s is only a 1.6 but has a superchager, throw £495 at it and enjoy 210 bhp. They handle very well too. If i don't get 1*2 insurance then there is a fair chance i'll jump ship to one of these

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
There are plently of good cars under 2.0 mate. A mini cooper s is only a 1.6 but has a superchager, throw £495 at it and enjoy 210 bhp. They handle very well too. If i don't get 1*2 insurance then there is a fair chance i'll jump ship to one of these

Expensive to get one mate, Catogorey damaged examples and high milers can be had for 5-7k

Also BMW service costs are a f**king joke, id steer well clear

320d
Thats a fair point, i definately want an upgrade for the 1.2 next year but i'm struggling for idea's if i don't get an rs clio.

Also don't want to lose more cash on it than i would on the 1.2 in a year.

Worse case i would keep the 1.2 for another year, but it would definately be going on coilies and turini's, i hate it being standrd but i'm with directline and under 25