ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help oil temp high!

Willy2

when i first got my valver the oil temp never used to go much over 100 degrees, but since i have been using mobil 1 it seems to be high all the time, when i say i high i mean with semi fast driving it creeps up to 110, my car never used to do this, im slightly worried, can any one help? i changed the oil about 3k ago and i use the mobile 1 stuff 5-50w! i can appreciate that the weather is that much hotter at the mo, but has anyone else had any problems?

on the track mine was running inbetween 110-115.......a bit higher than you really want to go but no probs....not tried another oil to see if it makes a diff.

i use 10 w40 semi synthetic total oil , not sure of the exact make but mine usually sits around 100 @ cruising speeds.

I think its the oil your using + the weather together. Whats the pressure like? Does it sound rough on tick over? 110s nothing to be worried about. Anything over id be slightly concerned but if your running a thin synthetic oil it will reach higher temps. I think. :confused:

Has this just started happening or has it been a bit higher for the 3K miles youve had it in?

Is the oil level on max? Valvers use oil over time, so after 3K miles the oil might be a little low, causing a higher oil temp and pressure.

Anyway, oil should be changed every 3K!

For comparison, I use Castrol GTX Magnetec and It only goes over 100 when Im putting my foot down, then it only goes up to about 110ish.

im using a 15w50 mobil 1, level and quality is never a problem.....always run that high since ive used it......pressure is fine, but i might trya nother oil to see if its related problem.

Willy2

i used magnatec 10-40w before, i will check the oil level today, mine tends to eat oil after the engine rebuild, i will top up and let you guys know. Thanks for the responses guys all advice is welcomed!

Audi S3

mine never gets to 100 degs gets close after a long thrash bet usualy arround 80 degs! using 0W40 Castrol RS

Has been a touch higher in the current weather tho!

Willy2

it seems to have settled a bit now, but just out of curiosity, my mate had a standard valver and this thing used to sit at 80 degrees and on caining it would just get to a 100, what is normal?

ive been told that magnatec was a bad oil to use.....clogs oil channels ??

anyone else heard that ?

same happens with slick 50 as well !!!.............so ive been told !!!

80 is about right. Any higher than 95 then theres a problem.

Remember the senders and gauges are not excactly calibrated to military specs.

Oil breaks down over 110 degrees and is knackered, decent synthetics like mobil 1 will last better at the high temps but the fact is they shouldnt be getting that hot to have to deal with them.

Oil is any engines primary coolant, so when the water based coolant starts to play up due to every muppet not looking after it (if its brown in any way or has a brown bottle then its not been looked after) the oil has to take care of more heat than it should.

Quote: Originally posted by Tom_16v on 17 June 2003

Is the oil level on max? Valvers use oil over time, so after 3K miles the oil might be a little low, causing a higher oil temp and pressure.
Fatherted just pointed this out!:confused:

what ??? dont blame me.................all i said in an e-mail to you was......that having less oil & a higher oil pressure was a new one on me !!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

mines about the same. when mi thermostat was shagged for a few weeks it neva went over 80. now its up to 110 on the motorway. need to fit the low temp thermo i think!

Willy2

well i went to bristol 2 days ago and cruising at 100 the oil temp did not go over 110, i think the next time i change the rad i will do the oil cooler too, this might be better and after 10 years of use its gonna be a bit clogged up!

Adam_16v

A low temp thermostat wont change what temp the oil runs at. It wont hardly make any difference to the coolant temp, will just open earlier.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

When i had a knackered thermo it was hardly above 80. Changed it and it was about 100 most of the time. Now i had engine fully rebuilt, with a few extras chucked in and its quite high!. runs absolutely spot on though! (touch wood)