ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please- engine bay

IMG_0658.gif

IMG_0655.gif

IMG_0657.gif

IMG_0656.gif

Ok, since ive owned the car i never cleaned the engine bay :S

as you can see its not looking too good! as im thinking of selling the car i really need to do something with it.

What can i use, and how should i do it?

thanks josh

TeZ

Non RS : (
Dear god were to start,

romove all plastics (that you can remove)( airbox, fuse etc etc) and wash, and scrub then i would use some sort of trim or plastics restorer,

u can remove the bonnet catch and scrub with brushes and try to remover rust and them use a good abrasive metal polish on the spring and plate it sits on,

get a new engine cover,(plastic if that hole is not supposed to be there lol)

not sure about plenum... Rich or someone will be here soon,

everything else just use VERY lil water and a cloth to tidy it up ( i use a all purpose cleaner in the bay , nothing special).

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
get that rusty catch sorted ASAP mate. You may end up kissing your bonnet at 70mph, if that gets any worse.

Mito Sportiva 135
I think this whole being scared of water in the engine approach is a load of pish.. I have pressure washed loads of cars of different types and never had a single issue afterwards.

To get the worst of the muck off I would spray something like AG Engine & Machine cleaner on first, leave to soak for a bit then rinse off. If that has no or little effect you can step it up a gear, traffic film remover works pretty well in my opinion for this.

After that it is just a matter of cleaning everything up (quite laborious) - I find a small brush helps to get into the smaller gaps. I would then treat the plastic with something like AG Plastic & Vinyl and polish the metal using some Super Resin Polish then seal as you would with normal body parts.

TeZ

I just prefer not to use "lots" of water have a bucket and use a rag wouldnt use a pressure washer ,

Auto glym Metal Polish is the best bet for all the metal parts here Great stuff.

Mito Sportiva 135
I guess in the wrong hands you could cause damage, but as I said I have never caused any damage on customers cars when I worked at a dealership and that was with the most powerfull washer and on high temperatures.

As long as you stand back a bit and don't aim directly at wires it should be fine, although if you have more time then might as well be safer and go with the manual approach I guess.

Mito Sportiva 135
Seriously mate a pressure washer will be fine to get the worst of the muck off, French or not!

Punto/Clio GTT
Seriously mate a pressure washer will be fine to get the worst of the muck off, French or not!

mind ya, i used a diesel powered jet washer when ide just started my job and i was happily cleaning this bumper when i looked underneath and ide ripped the radiator to bits. lol

Mito Sportiva 135
Well what can I say, you must all be s**t as using pressure washers then lol.

Must have done at least 100 cars this way and never had a single problem to date, just saved loads of time and effort.

You can disagree with this method but as I say, I have done it loads of time and had no problems, so it does work.

Renault Clio S
That blue sticker is still peeling back in the top left corner of the first picture. I would secure that straight away. Otherwise, much better.

TeZ

Wow alot better mate, no way u can scrub those header tanks to get the yellow tinge from them?

Mito Sportiva 135
Think the plastic may have changed colours, happens a lot on certain plastics as the polymers break down. My old microwave turned yellow-ish as it got older, don't think there is much you can do.

Unless it is just dirt... in which case you obviously can!;)

Punto/Clio GTT
if your selling the car, clean the windows (major selling point) sparkly windows compliments the bodywork, so have them immaculate