ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please :(

My gf went to start the car today and it started fine but then cut out straight away. It would only stay on if you pressed the accelerator slightly.

I called the aa out and they started it fine and it idled fine, I drove off fine, came to a junction and put the car in 1st the revs seem to be a lot higher than normal.

I pulled over and put the car in neutral and it was reving iratically above 2k rpm.

Could this be the temp sensor? or is there an idle control valve?

Its for a mk1 172

Please help :(

Thanks

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Replace the temp sensor - part number 7700101968 £23.49 + vat

This sensor acts as a choke - it is situated in the thermostat housing - when the vehicle is cold it senses the engine cooling fluid is cold so increases the fuel / air mixture to compensate - If this sensor is knackered it will be like trying to start a manually operated choke car without pulling the lever out - once the waters warm it should be ok

CLS, RS MEG
Sorry to steal your thread, but i have a similar problem with a 1.2 16v clio. When starting from cold, the revs are very low, and require accelarator revs to keep the engine from dying. It cuts out when you coast at low speeds or stop. Once the engine is at its normal operating temp which i think it 90oC, it is fine. Could this be the same problem? and if so where is my temp sensor located? Thanks in advance

MERCEDES CLS AMG
eg

Attachments

• 00134075_1.png
    00134075_1.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 44
  MERCEDES CLS AMG
Heres the D4F Type - 2 options depending on what type of thermostat you have fitted

Attachments

• 01003476_1.png
    01003476_1.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 31
Danlp6 said:
wont be the throttle body

It was the idle control valve jamming up. Which was causing the car to rev lots and lots. It was reving at 3000 rpm in netural lol
Or the valve would jam shut causing a low air intake which made the car stall

It just needed cleaning out.

So far its ok