ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help starting and spluttering problem when cold

Hello, I have a Clio 182, and the last month or so it has been getting worse at starting first thing in the morning, thr last two days it hasemt started I had to turn it off and try again, also when I first drive it cold it is really sputtery and back fires when I let of the accelerator, can any one help me with what is the problem? As soon as it is worm it drives great!

Any help would be great. Thanks

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Coilpack, leads or plugs. If they haven't been done for ages and would rather just narrow it all down just replace those three. If your on a budget go with the cheapest first

I have just done the spark plugs, is there any way of testing the leads? There not standard ones on there, and is the coil pack more of a common problem?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Coilpacks are mate. After twelve months, three trackdays and an mot yesterday it went. Came out spluttering after the test, thankfully had a spare coil in work. Jobs a good un

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If it's only happening when starting first thing (true "cold" start) but running fine once up to temp, it is more likely to be something along the line of an H02 sensor fault (heater element or function control) or possibly even a the CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor).

Ideally though a quick look at the live data when starting it from a true cold start will finger it for you... or you could just guess and start with the cheapest item first but I would advise against that.

Mick

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
coolant sensor solved mine,but as the main man said above you could be throwing money away on new parts,i got the cts sensor from renault around 20 quid

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Hi my problem was not starting when cold and hot,sometimes start but not turn over etc,and more spluttery,it did take 2 coolant sensors to fix as 1 was dodgy even a new part

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I only done my lambda sensors about 2 mounts ago

Not scientific though Jordan. Is the sensor working, was it a Bosch unit or a cheap Generic POS from eBay? Have you checked the wiring is present and supplying the correct voltage?

It is the genuine sensor bought of a trader on here, and I haven't tested to see I am still learning about all of this to be onest