ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with alternator

Hi all, the past couple of days I’m getting intermittent STOP and BATTERY symbols on my 172 cup. They often appear when I start the car, then go off for a while only to keep reappearing.

I understand this is due to a faulty alternator. Surprisingly the car still drives fine though.

I checked the electrical connectors on the side of it and they seem tight so I guess it’d be a good idea to buy a new one before it packs in completely....

Having looked under the bonnet it looks easy to get to and I can only see a few bolts/nuts to undo. Plus the two electrical connectors on the side of the alternator(one of which is tightened by a nut).

What’s the process in removing the existing alternator and replacing it? Do I slacken off the nuts where it pivots at the top, before undoing the small 10mm tensioner nut at the front? Should I use something to keep a small amount of tension on the aux belt too, so it doesn’t fall off once I’ve taken off the old alternator?

Cheers

I worked it out in the end. It’s all straight forward even though I’ve never changed one before and there were no guides online.

One thing I would say is that I hope the new Valeo alternator works longer than the dog poo aftermarket RTX one did (i.e 12 months before it packed in).

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Valeo will be more than fine, RTX aren't worth fitting imo, never seen one last longer than 12 months, there's a reason they're cheaper than all the others.

Valeo will be more than fine, RTX aren't worth fitting imo, never seen one last longer than 12 months, there's a reason they're cheaper than all the others.

Amen to that! Those RTX ones should be taken off sale as they’re not fit for purpose. I’m lucky to have a cup as it made it easy to replace it with a Valeo one.