ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with sorting my photography kit!

SchwepTek™
Currently have a Canon 400D with their 17-85mm IS lens.

Wanting to upgrade or buy something with video without spending too much!

Do i....

a) Upgrade to a 500D which with my John Lewis discount, Canon cash back promo and selling my 400D and the 500D kit lens will cost me around £150.

b) Keep the 400D and buy a Sony Handycam dcr-sx30e which i can currently buy for £100!

Help please! :)

Depends how much you want video. If you really want it, get a video camera, not a stills camera that can do video, otherwise get a better stills camera.

1.2 Dynamique billabong
Although that is the case on the 500d, the video function on the 7d is much better with up to 60fps so you can do slow motion stuff. also in terms of price for a canon professional quality video camera where you can swap the lenses and put L series glass on it you would be looking at anything from £3500 - £30,000 which makes the 7d good value.
but as dan said if you dont really want the video function then there is little point in upgrading, plus the reviews i have seen about the video function on the 500d is a little disappointing as it has limited control.
if you want something purely for still have you considered a second hand 5d, still great cameras and can be picked up for around £650 now